Part Sixteen

Warning: swearing, mention of death

**********

The evacuation had been a success and everyone had made it safely to an old nearby hospital to hide out the impending horde wave that was expected to be led by Beta. Aaron and Alden had volunteered to remain behind at Alexandria in order to keep a close watch on Beta's moves, keeping the rest informed about his movements, as well as to ensure that the decoy plan to lead him towards Oceanside instead was played successfully through.

You had just gotten off of watch duty and had been staring with amusement at Kelly attempting to teach Gabriel how to sign when you noticed Negan walking by holding a dead possum, you watched as he paused to silently stare at Lydia while she was busy sorting through some berries.

The look on his face told you everything you already so clearly knew; although he did the right thing, Negan felt a huge amount of guilt over having had killed her mother. Although Lydia gave the pretence that she couldn't care less and that it had needed to be done, Alpha had still been her mother after all. Therefore you had told Negan to give Lydia some space and that when the time was right, the two of them should sit down and discuss it.

"What you making?" you ask walking up to Negan whom was busy stirring at the pot of food in front of him.

"Beef stroganoff..." he smirks at you in response.

"Sounds nice, but I think there might have fallen a possum or two in there by accident..." you chuckle.

"Saw me carrying the critter in, did ya?" Negan chuckles along with you.

"It was hard not to miss it..." you reply.

"Thought everyone would be getting hungry by now, so I decided to make myself useful" Negan remarks with a shrug.

"Good idea..." you agree with a head nod, grabbing the spoon to taste it, "because I know I am."

"How does it taste?" Negan stares at you for approval.

"For something that reminds me of a rat, it surprisingly delicious..." you answer causing Negan to snicker at you.

It was during this time the two of you notice Judith speaking to Lydia from across the hall. Seeing the torn look on Negan's face as he watched, you grab hold of his hand. "Maybe you should talk to her."

"I'm the last person she would want to talk with right now" Negan responds looking deflated.

"She won't admit it, but her mother's death has affected her" you tell him, "she needs someone to talk to about it."

"Then you should go talk to her..." Negan replies, "not the person that killed her mother."

"You both need to talk it out" you push him, "this way she can let out her grief and anger, and you can relieve the guilt you feel towards her."

"How do I even approach her?" Negan exhales heavily.

"Take her some Rat Stew..." you suggest.

"A possum is not a rat..." Negan looks at you offended.

"Well, it looks like one..." you chuckle, "a big-ass one."

Negan shakes his head at you with a sigh of disappointment, scooping some stew into a bowl. "Will you come with..." Negan looks to you with pleading eyes, "just stand nearby. Please."

Agreeing to Negan's plea, you follow behind him and stood silently in the doorway as he approached Lydia in the room she was alone in with Daryl's dog.

"Hey..." Negan walks up to Lydia, "I don't think you've eaten anything today" he remarks nervously waving the bowl in his hands.