Part Twenty-five

Warning: Mention of violence and death

*********

"We're running on empty now..." you remark while making breakfast for the kids.

"Not quite sure how much further I can stretch what we got."

"I know..." Rosita heavily sighs out.

"I just hope the others make it back in time."

"Me too" you respond, leaving the kitchen to deliver the food to the kids.

Coming back into the kitchen, you begin storing the leftovers.

"I hope they don't mind having the same thing for dinner."

"Have you eaten?" Rosita asks then.

"I'll be fine" you brush her off.

"Y/N..." Rosita frowns at you disapprovingly.

"You have to eat."

"The children need the food more" you argue.

"Precisely" Rosita rebuts.

"Including the one in your womb. You need to keep your strength up, you need to eat... if only for the health of your baby."

Letting out a sigh of defeat, you head to the refrigerator to grab yourself a portion of the food.

"Happy..." you mumble out with a mouth full of food.

"Very much" Rosita grins at you.

"I might not like the kid's father, but I've grown to respect and like you."

"Thanks..." you chuckle at her remark.

"You mind watching Coco for me?" Rosita then asks.

"Sure, no problem" you nod in agreement.

*****

They had made it out alive from the tunnels, but now it seemed that Negan and the rest of the team's luck had run out.

On their way to a detour to restock up on supplies, the team ran into a horrendous scene; dead bodies were strung up on posts all along the road they were traveling.

"This place sure has gone to shit last time I was here" Negan remarks staring at the scene in front of him, along with everyone else.

"Let's double back..." Negan suggests.

"We can cut thro-"

An arrow suddenly comes flying out of nowhere, hitting Roy directly in the eye. Before anyone knew what was going on; all hell broke loose, arrows and throwing knives were raining down on them from all angles.

Everyone scatters for cover then as a large group of heavily armed men slowly approached them.

"Run!" someone screams as arrows and knives whisked pass them, connecting with most of the group members as they fled for their lives.

*****

Negan after being injured in the leg during the attack, manages to come across an abandoned shopping mall.

He decides to take a breather and hide out inside until the coast is clear, which ends up being a wise decision for both Alden and Maggie.

Hearing a commotion coming from the upper floor, Negan makes it just in time to assist Maggie in her struggle with one of their attackers, clobbering the person over the head with his crowbar.

Realizing that Alden was in trouble, Maggie grabs a knife, throwing it into the back of the one attacking him.

Crying out in pain, the attacker throws something in their direction. Realizing what it was, Negan grabs hold of Maggie and dives for cover as a blinding explosion goes off.