Chapter 8: That Butterfly Feeling

Whitney got through her show Friday night and now it was the second sold out show at Bridgestone area. She sat in her dressing room, finishing up getting ready, wondering where in the hell Stacey had gone. She usually got her hyped before the show because that had been their thing since Whitney had started this journey. There was a knock on her door.

"Come in," she said, hoping it was Stacey.

"Hi beautiful."

"Joseph!" she squealed, running over to him and hugging him. "What are you doing here?"

"My shooting schedule got changed. I'm off this weekend and Stacey helped me surprise you." Whitney looked over at Stacey who was in the doorway. She gave her a wink and shut the door.

"I'm so glad you're here," she said.

"Me too sweetheart," he said, embracing her again and kissing her forehead.

Whitney had a new energy tonight as she knew Joseph was here and it made her have more fun. "Thank you Nashville!" she said as she walked off stage after her encore, followed quickly by her team. As they walked down the hall to her dressing room, Joseph walked beside her, his hand grabbing hers and interlacing their fingers.

"Hey girl, the hotel is all set for you. The car is outside whenever you're ready."

"Thanks, Stace," she said, sipping her water, sitting on the couch, catching her breath.

"You did amazing tonight sweetheart," Joseph said, sitting next to her and putting his arm around her.

"Thank you and thank you for surprising me." Her head resting on his shoulder as he kissed her forehead. Whitney knew they had known each other for a few weeks, but he gave her the butterflies she had only written songs about.

"Come on sweetheart, let's go." She grabbed her stuff as she and Joseph made their way out to the car that was waiting.

"Where are you staying?" she asked Joseph.

"Stacey talked to my assistant and we're staying in the same hotel," he answered with a smile.

"Good," she replied as they both got in the car. They arrived at the hotel's underground entrance and escorted up to her room.

"Get some sleep, beautiful," Joseph said, kissing her cheek. Joseph went to walk away, but Whitney grabbed his arm, pulling him back to her as she kissed him and his arms wrapping around her. They were lost in their own world, until they heard someone clear their throat and they broke apart, Stacey. "Goodnight," he said again, kissing her cheek before disappearing down the hall.

"Damn girl, making out with Joseph in public," she laughed.

"You're a pain in the ass," she replied with a smile as they walked into Whitney's room. "Also, thank you."

"For what?" Stacey asked.

"Surprising me with Joseph yet again. Did he call you or something?"

"First, you're welcome and second, he did. He called me after the music video and said they changed his shooting schedule so he wanted to see you. Something about a date?"

"He asked me about a date when he left my bus, but I didn't think it'd actually happen."

"Why do you do this?"

"Do what?" Whitney asked.

"You know what. You psych yourself up for something and think it'll have a negative outcome. Either that or you try to find a way to not pursue the relationship."

"I do not," she replied.

"Then why did the words, I didn't think it would actually happen come out of your mouth then?"

"I mean, I don't know. We have really busy schedules and I don't think he lives here when he's not filming."

"Look, this is Stacey your best friend talking, not manager Stacey, ok? I've been on this ride with you for a long time and I've seen the toll it has on you and how you think you're supposed to put your career first. The guys you've dated in the past and have had articles written about you, are the scars of that. You need to let yourself be happy and for fucks sake Whitney, Joseph is your happy. I swear he might be the one to change your mind, but only if you let him. You have to let him in though if it gets that far."

"I know you're right and I hate to admit it," Whitney replied. "I just know if I don't get involved, I won't get hurt."

"That was smart thinking when we were in high school, but you're 28 now. We make adult choices now."

"Oh that's what that is," Whitney replied.