Chapter 22: The Hometown and Final Show

As Whitney was running around the house gathering some last minute things for her show, Joseph's phone began to ring. It was one of his manager's assistants, Chloe. He walked outside and sat in one of the chairs.

"Hi Chloe. What's up?" he answered.

"Hi Joseph. I know you're enjoying some time off since filming is over, but Wonderland Magazine wants to feature you as their fall/winter cover. They would need you back in London at the beginning of next week. Management also mentioned the Director for the new remake of The Gladiator film wants you to read for the part of the King. Do you think you could be back in time?"

There was a beat of silence before Joseph answered. "I can be back. Let me know what you need from me."

"Nothing. I will get the travel arrangements in order and send you everything you need," Chloe said.

"Thank you." Joseph hung up the phone and laid his head against the chair. He knew this was bound to happen sometimes. I guess the time had just come sooner than he hoped. He would tell Whitney after her concert.

Whitney stood on stage later that day overlooking the empty seats that would soon be filled with fans. After finally talking to Joseph this morning, she felt like an enormous weight had been lifted off her shoulders.

"How do you do this every night?" she heard Joseph say, coming up behind her and wrapping his arms around her.

"It's my love and my passion. My music and my fans have helped me get through some tough shit in my life and I wouldn't be who I am today without them. I'm always grateful I get to do what I love everyday."

"I'm in awe of you, my love." Joseph kissed her cheek as the band started to come out on stage. She closed her eyes and lived in this moment with him and the happiness he made her feel.

Whitney stood out on the stage with her guitar in hand as she spoke to the hometown crowd.

"How's everyone feeling tonight?" she started. The crowd erupted in cheers. "Well, I wanted to save my hometown for last and share with you some new stuff I've been working on that will be on my upcoming album. Ya'll want to hear it?" The crowd continued to cheer. She began to strum on her guitar as the chords to While You're At It began to play. As Whitney began to sing the first few lyrics, the music video began to play on the screen. Everyone cheered loudly as the images of her and Joseph began to flash across the screen.

Backstage, Stacey nudged Joseph who was just taking in Whitney and her performance, watching as people reacted to the music video.

"I think you two made a hell of a music video," Stacey said in Joseph's ear.

"I think so too. I'm grateful for it now, because I have her," he answered with a smile.

"Ohhh woah, While You're at It.," she finished as everyone cheered and clapped. She stood there and smiled before thanking the crowd and the energy that the night had brought. "Thank you Charlotte! Goodnight!," she said, walking offstage to where Joseph and Stacey were. She hugged Stacey first and then Joseph opened his arms to her as she wrapped her arms around him."

"I'm so proud of you princess," he said, kissing her forehead.

"Thank you," she replied, as they walked back to her dressing room.

"Alright superstar, how does it feel to be done with the tour?" Stacey asked once they had gotten to the dressing room.

"Sad, but also relieved. I need a break," Whitney said, taking a sip of her water, sitting on her couch in the dressing room. Joseph sat beside her, his arm around her shoulder. Stacey's phone began to ring and she left the room to take it. Whitney looked at Joseph and smiled. "Thank you for coming to my hometown shows. It means so much." He gave her a smile, but her instincts told her there was something he wasn't telling her.

"Are you ok?" she asked. He sat up and looked at her, letting out a sigh as he began to talk.

"Well, yes and no. I have to go back to London for a magazine and to read for a part in a new movie. I figured I'd get some down time and more time for us to spend together, but I guess not. We can still talk every day, my love," he said.

He could tell by the look on her face, she was holding back some kind of emotion, but then she said something he wasn't expecting. "Look, we both knew this was going to happen at some point. You were going to have to go back home or even off to shoot another movie. I was going to have to jet off to do interviews or concerts. We never said it was going to be easy."

Joseph pulled her back to him and kissed her forehead. "We still have tonight."

"We still have tonight," Whitney echoed.