Chapter 21: Opening Up

The North Carolina air always hit differently when Whitney hadn't been home in awhile. She sat on her back deck, looking at the sunrise over the trees. She had missed being home, but it also brought back a lot of memories. After talking to Stacey, Whitney had made the decision to come clean to Joseph about her family and her parents. The story of her family wasn't much different than most people's, but because of the loss and the effect it had had on her, she had kept that part of her life out of the public eye. Even though she knew it would be tough, she knew she loved Joseph and he had the right to know.

The sun began to rise over the Atlanta skyline as Joseph packed up the rest of his clothes. He couldn't believe that the show was over, but he was ready to spend time with Whitney. Even though he learned something about her that she hadn't told him, he didn't care. He loved her and if she told him in her own time, then he was fine with it. He grabbed his final bags and looked around the apartment for the final time before shutting the door and walking down to his car. He began the drive to Charlotte to surprise her in time for her show.

As Whitney was making sure her house was clean for Joseph before she headed over to the area, she heard her doorbell ring. She wondered who it could be since she wasn't expecting Joseph until tomorrow so she went to the door. When she did she squealed.

"Joseph!" she said, jumping into his arms.

"Hi my love," he answered, a huge smile on his face. He kissed her before he set her back on her feet.

"I wasn't expecting you until tomorrow."

"I know, but we wrapped early and I didn't want to miss your hometown final shows."

"Have I mentioned you're the best boyfriend ever?"

"Yeah I know," he joked.

"Smartass."

Whitney's first show in her hometown had an energy that Joseph hadn't seen before. He could see her fans loved her as much as he did and he was in awe.

"Glad you could make it," Stacey said, coming up beside him.

"Thanks and thank you again. I hope I won't have to bother you anymore."

"Joseph, it's fine. As long as you take care of my girl while she's on break, we're all good. I don't mind helping you with anything you need."

"Thank you Stacey." Joseph went back to watching Whitney close out the show and walk off stage, a huge smile on her face. He followed her back to her dressing room, their hands interlaced.

"You were amazing, my love," he said, kissing her once everyone had left.

"Thank you," she answered. "I'm glad you could be here." Whitney started to gather her stuff as they made their way out to her car. She went to get into the driver's side when Joseph stopped her.

"Princess, I know you're tired. I'll drive back, just put in your address for me." She nodded and got into the passenger side, hitting a few buttons on her screen as it routed them toward her house. Whitney's head laid back on the headrest and it hit her how tired she was. She felt Joseph's hand reach over and grab hers and kiss it.

"I'm lucky to have you," she whispered.

"Likewise," he answered with a smile. Joseph pulled into her driveway and gently woke Whitney up. "Come on, let's go to bed." She nodded in agreement and they walked inside.

The next morning, Joseph woke up to the sun shining through the windows in Whitney's room. He turned over to where she should be and there was an empty spot. He ran his hand over his face and checked his phone before heading downstairs where he could smell food. Whitney had music playing softly as she cooked breakfast and sang along.

"Now I get the view for breakfast," he said, walking into the kitchen.

"Very funny. I don't think I can lift you on the counter though," she answered with a smile and a shrug. He smiled and walked over and wrapped his arms around her.

"I could get used to waking up to this," he said.

"Me dancing in the kitchen? She asked.

"Us together." Whitney felt her heart start racing. Was he insinuating about them living together? She didn't have an answer for that and changed the subject.

"Let's eat before it gets cold," she said, setting the food on the table. Joseph wasn't expecting her to shut down at his comment, but maybe he had pushed it too far.

As they finished breakfast, Whitney suggested they go on the back deck and have their coffee. The sun was hitting the trees, giving off this glow to the rest of the land. Whitney had been working herself up to talk to Joseph and she figured it would be better sooner rather than later.

"Can we talk about something?" Whitney asked. Joseph looked over at her.

"Anything." Whitney took a sip of her coffee and let out a long sigh before she began.

"There is something that I haven't told you, nor has it come up either. I was in the studio recording and Stacey asked me if you had and I had talked about our families. I said you had briefly and mine hadn't come up. I never talk about this and because we're serious and I love you, you deserve to know. The truth is my family is something I hate bringing up. It's got pain, deceit and everything you could imagine. It almost sounds like it could be a soap opera. Anyway, I lost both my parents when I was in my early teens. They were in a car accident coming back from a friend's house one night. I had just started writing music and singing and losing both of them made me want to give up on music right then and there. Since I was an only child, they had me go live with my Aunt and Uncle. They were nice enough and helped me get my career started. I owed them a lot for taking me in, but they got to the point where they wanted to be in charge of all my finances and were spending some of my money. At that point I wanted nothing to do with my family and asked Stacey if I could live with her family when I wasn't doing small shows. Stacey's mom took me in and helped me with my career. They're my real family in all of this." She wiped the tears from her eyes as she finished and looked over at Joseph. He had a stunned look on his face, probably not expecting everything that had just come out.

"Holy shit," he finally muttered. "I'm so sorry you had to go through that Whitney." He motioned for her to come sit in his lap and she did, laying her head on his shoulder. "I appreciate you trusting me enough to let me in on that part of your life."

"Thank you for loving me," she whispered. He kissed her forehead and held her tighter.

"With all my heart princess, with all my heart." 

Whitney's House

Whitney's House