the proposal-rooster

Auther: theBradleyBradshaw

Rooster decided that the one thing he wanted for the rest of his life was: you. You brought so much light and happiness to his life. You were the first person he thought of before bed, and the first thing he thought of when he awoke. It’s safe to say that you were constantly on his mind. So much so that he walked around as if little cherubs were flying around his head. He spaced out several times during the day, just daydreaming about things he wanted to do with you.

The last of the dishes were put away into the dishwasher as you cleaned up from dinner. Another successful cooking night. Rooster had helped grill up the salmon as you chopped all the fresh veggies. It was relaxing and domestic, something that you couldn’t get enough of. The only issue was your boyfriend was seemingly in a trance. He was more quiet than usual, even though he insisted that nothing was wrong. Your gut feeling said otherwise - but he wouldn’t budge.

“Alexa, play ‘Can’t Help Falling in Love’ by Elvis Presley,” Rooster demanded as he appeared in the kitchen. He was freshly from the shower, sweatpants hanging from his hips. The gray pair that drove you wild.

You turned away from the sink to face him, taking in the way his eyes held a certain luster. Maybe he was coming out of his daze. “Care to dance?” he asked, holding his hand out to you.

You accepted happily, finding your way towards his body. His arms were strong around your waist, swaying the two of you across the hardwood floor. Every once in a while Rooster would end up in a particularly romantic mood. It wasn’t uncommon to find the two of you dancing around in a room of your house as the sun sank below the world. Tonight felt different. There was something in the air that felt different from any other regular night.

“To what do I owe this pleasure?” You quizzed, hand running over the freshly shaved hair on the back of his head. 

He chuckled at you, placing a chaste kiss on your temple. “What? I can’t dance with my girl in our kitchen?” 

“Of course you can,” you nodded, “but you didn’t seem in the dancing mood just a few minutes earlier.”

One of his hands gently stroked your lower back as he sighed. Of course you noticed his mood change. You noticed everything. That was something he adored about you. He never had to say a word, you could always tell his mood and you did whatever you could to make it better. You were so incredibly special to him. God, he was so in love with you it almost scared him.

“You never miss a thing do you, sweetheart,” he quipped. “I’ve just had something on my mind lately.”

You hummed, “like what?”

Rooster’s eyes stared into yours with an intensity that could start a fire. It felt as if he was staring directly into your soul. He took a minute to answer. A minute to fully contemplate whether or not to drop this bomb on you right now or wait for a more ‘romantic’ setting. No, he couldn’t wait. He had to get it off his chest before it ate him alive.

“Marry me.” he simply stated.

The dancing ceased. The low voice of Elvis continued in the background as the world began spinning around you. Did he just? He did. The man you had fallen completely in love with in 2 years just said the ‘m’ word. Had you expected that? Absolutely not. Of course you had always dreamed of one day marrying the love of your life, but you never expected him to mention it on a random Tuesday afternoon.

“Y-you want to marry me?” You questioned, as if this was some cruel joke. 

Rooster dropped his grip on you and retreated from the kitchen. What the fuck was going on? Was he proposing? Were you about to become engaged? You placed a hand to the kitchen counter to keep yourself from falling over. Bubbles formed in your stomach. You were the worst with surprises and this was the ultimate one.

He appeared again, except this time he had a black velvet box in his hand. He knelt before you on one knee, grabbing your hand in his. You were shaking from head to toe, breath ragged. Tears were prickling his eyes as he looked up at you.

“Y/N Y/L/N, baby, I love you more than you could ever know. I know that this isn’t the most romantic time to do this. I had a whole thing planned, I was going to take you to Hawaii, but I couldn’t wait any longer. I couldn’t wait one more day to make you my fiancee. You are the absolute greatest thing to ever happen to me. I know that you will be the greatest wife and the greatest mom to our future kids. Please, continue to make me the happiest, luckiest man alive and marry me. Please?” He spilled with all of his heart. 

Tears fell from both of your eyes as crickets chirped out in the night. The moon had settled above and cast glowing shadows into the house. The dim lighting provided a warm ambience. You would always remember this moment. The moment where Rooster poured out his entire heart from the kitchen floor and took your breath away. You had always pictured yourself getting engaged in a fancy dress at an expensive destination. Instead, you were in your leggings and a crop top, hair pushed back as you had just been washing dishes. Your boyfriend, fiance?, was in his night time sweat pants. Yet, still, you preferred this over anything else in the world.

“Yes,” you squeaked out, “yes. Oh my god yes!” 

Rooster let out the loudest cheer in all of San Diego. He shakily placed the ring on your finger, watching the way it sparkled in the moonlight. “I’m getting married!” he continued to yell. Before you could register you were being quite literally swept off your feet as he spun you around. “This little lady said she’ll marry me!”

Everything in the world finally felt right. It seemed as if everything you had ever manifested and wished for yourself came true. You were in the house that you shared with your now fiance, music in the background, staring at the beautiful engagement ring that now sat on your finger. “We’re still going to Hawaii, right?” You jokingly asked.

“Baby, I’ll take you anywhere in the world you want to go,” Rooster beamed back at you, dipping you down low as he placed the most love filled kiss to your lips you’ve ever received.