tom riddle

Author: iwritefanficsnottragedies

It happened to be an especially cold and gloomy autumn morning which (Y/N) decided was worth spending outside. The Gryffindor ditched her robes for a warmer sweater and headed happily to the courtyard. She grabbed her book on the way out. A little bit of extra reading for potions class wouldn't do any harm, she figured.

As she cheerfully skipped down the steps, she noticed that she wasn't the only one who had this brilliant idea. One other student decided it was acceptable to read under the risk of rain and freeze for the sake of silence and fresh air. The Slytherin was too absorbed in his book to be bothered to look up. (Y/N) knew better than to think Tom Riddle didn't know she was there. He seemed to be very aware of her presence lately. In class and at the Great Hall, in hallways and even during their free time. It started subtly, the (H/C) girl had felt someone's eyes on her and she couldn't figure out who it was. Eventually she caught Tom's eyes though, and from then on, he wasn't as subtle anymore.

"Maybe he likes you," her friends suggested, dreaming of the gorgeous boy who didn't seem to be interested in any of them. But behind his cold eyes, (Y/N) wasn't sure if he was capable of such feelings.

Finally reaching the fountain, (Y/N) offered a warm 'good morning' to the boy. Tom barely acknowledged her as she took a seat on the other side of the fountain. Seeing Tom returning to his book, (Y/N) followed suit.

Not long after, though, the Gryffindor grew extremely bored. After shifting and turning and switching positions, she decided enough studying was done for the day. She walked over to Riddle, and sat next to him, much to the boy's displeasure.

"What are you reading?" She asks, trying to look at a name on the cover, but with no luck since Tom had it resting comfortably in his lap.

"A book, (Y/L/N)," he offered sternly, hoping it would give (Y/N) the hint to leave him alone. And it worked for a few minutes, but the girl wouldn't stop there.

"Well... what book then?"

This time Tom took his eyes off his book.

"A Guide to Medieval Sorcery." He tried to read the next sentence-

"That sounds boring. Isn't it?"

"For me it's not." Tom grew impatient. It wasn't like he was stuck on the same paragraph since the (Y/H/C) arrived. Maybe just on the same page.

A few more minutes passed in silence, but the Gryffindor didn't enjoy that one bit.

"Lovely day, isn't it? For reading I mean. That's if you don't mind the rain."

"You would've thought students would rather stay inside."

(Y/N) knew she was annoying Tom. She was doing it on purpose, after all.

"I don't know how you're not bored with that book yet," (Y/N) complained, getting even closer to the boy just to scan the pages. Tom shut the book with an agressive snap, startling the poor girl who almost fell into the fountain behind them.

"You interrupt my reading once more and this book will become a lethal weapon," Tom snarled, while grabbing (Y/N) by arm, intercepting her fall. He swiftly composed himself, but didn't let go of the girl.

(Y/N) tried to contain a little bubble of laughter, which didn't pass unobserved.

"And what's so amusing, (Y/L/N)?"

"Just you," she said matter-of-factly, offering him a smile. As conceited and cold a guy as he was, she couldn't deny he was really attractive.

Tom stared at her for a few seconds, before he deigned to speak.

"If it was anyone other than you, (Y/L/N), I would've sent them off a long time ago."

"Why not me then?"

"I seem to tolerate your presence. Don't take it as a compliment, you are still incredibly annoying."

"I think you quite enjoy my presence actually," (Y/N) laughed. Tom chose to stay silent, averting his gaze to the fountain.

"You know, this weather fits you well," (Y/N) smirked, "dark and gloomy seems to be making you even more charming."

"Oh, so you think I'm charming?"

"It's not like you didn't know that, everyone knows it."

Somehow during their interaction Tom's hand came to rest lower on (Y/N)'s arm and he seemed to have gotten closer to her. The corners of his mouth unconsciously formed an almost smile. Quickly catching himself, he tried his best to keep a straight face. She thinks im charming...

"I can say the same thing about you. Of course, you could do with a few changes, especially that red tie around your neck."

"Im very proud of my red tie," (Y/N) scoffed. "And you could do with a little less arrogance." The girl tore her eyes off of Tom, in an attempt to look displeased.

"Could I?" Tom asked in a low voice, his free hand gently cupping (Y/N)'s chin, turning her face towards his once again. He seemed to have moved incredibly close to (Y/N).

"A bit..." The girl whispered, her cheeks were red, from the cold. Or was it his proximity? She couldn't tell which.

Tom's gaze wandered from (Y/N)'s eyes, to her lips and back.

"May I kiss you?" He asked, leaning forward until their faces were mere inches apart. His scent teased her senses, her heartbeat quickened.

(Y/N) could do nothing but nod, the power of speech having left her the closer he got to her. She felt Tom's soft lips on her own, a gentle caress. The sweet, innocent kiss lasted what seemed a long time, making her body tingle. She leaned into his hand that was now cupping her cheek, his lips on hers a wonderful sensation. It was over too soon and too suddenly. As he broke the kiss, (Y/N) could only stare into his dark eyes, mesmerised by the boy in front of her. She wanted to kiss him again, not that she'd ever initiate it. She wanted him to kiss her again.

"It's raining, we should head inside." Tom broke the silence, getting up and gathering both of their books. He helped (Y/N) up and, as they were heading back inside, she felt his hand coming to rest at the small of her back. She smiled to herself, 'I love rainy days.'