twenty six

hellloooo i hope you guys enjoy this chapter as much as i enjoyed writing it !!!

anyways happy new years !!

see u in the next one ♡

-

twenty six ☽ family

OSAKA, JAPAN 9:43 AM
OSAKA MARRIOTT MIYAKO HOTEL

You awaken abruptly at the sudden gush of sunlight that flashed your senses. It wakes you like a punch to your gut, fiercely dragging you out of a deep void of unconsciousness. When your eyes flutter open, your surroundings are a blurry mosaic of shadows, shapes, and colours. Blinking against the sun, you try to make sense of the room.

Gradually, everything comes to focus. It's bright and it smells like freshly made coffee. Rays of sun slip through the gaps of a curtain that shroud a large floor to ceiling window. Finally, you comprehend the plush mattress of the bed beneath you.

Confused, you struggle to sit up, a dull ache reverberating throughout your head. There is a blanket over you, which you hold up closer to yourself as if it were the only familiar thing you knew.

"You're awake," an unfamiliar voice rings. You look around warily and turn towards the speaker, meeting your gaze with a woman you didn't recognize.

She sits on a chair next to you with a steaming mug encased securely between her palms. Her eyes meet yours. For a moment, you observe her, hunting for any sense of hostility in her expression.

Her wine stained lips curl at the ends. Lipstick, you think. They probably imprint the rim of her coffee mug when she occasionally sips. She sits cross legged, phone in her hand. This is when you notice her black stilettos, handbag, and jewelry. They shine in opulence, branded with luxury.

"Who are you?" You say in a whisper, struggling to find your voice. It was only now when you realized how dry your mouth felt–your throat like a desert. The woman gestures her head toward a nightstand right next to you. A carafe with its matching glass cup. Warily, you help yourself to some water, with ice cubes and slices of lemon.

She sips her mug then places it on the table next to her. A sharp exhale is her first response. Then she presses her lips together in a straight line, giving you enough time to grow impatient for an answer.

"You don't recognize your mother?" She finally says, her voice rich and regal-like. "Your father really did stay true to his word then."

Chills skitter through your bones like static, pulsing in waves at the beat of your heart. Your tongue tastes like lemon and you've grown afraid to respond. If you speak, everything becomes real, the world would accelerate again, leaving you running behind.

"Because he burnt all your photos." You finally say in the midst of a weighing silence, your voice as airy as the wind that whistled through the open window.

"That's right." She sighs, her voice smooth like velvet. "And so much more."

Your mother had left you with your father before you started grade school. Her face was a blur all your childhood. Each coming year would wash away the details of her face until she became a ghost. Only an idea of your mother existed in your head, simply a concept. She was a ghostly blur of a woman that brought you into this world.

Something is simmering beneath your surface, you can't quite put a finger on the feeling. But when you spoke once more, with more venom, you understood that there was a burning rage crackling within you. It was a voracious fire that demanded to be smothered, otherwise it'd only grow bigger, more dangerous.

"Why the hell am I here?"

The bed below you no longer felt as soft as it did. Memories came back to replay in your head. The last thing you remember was a desperate escape from the vice-chancellor, who had locked you in his office under the guise of owing the school money. He had mentioned Kenny's name, that you'd be taken to him, but clearly that wasn't the case here. Instead, you woke up to a woman who claims to be your mother.

The said woman exhales sharply through her nose. She takes another sip before resting her mug on the table once again.

"I heard rumours that my only daughter had a ransom of..." She pauses to hum, thinking to herself. "400 million."

"How much about me do you know?" You say, warily. You bring your knees to your chest, sitting yourself against the bed's headboard.

"As much as you know about me, I suppose."

"Well, I know that you had a thing with Kenny. Kenny Ackerman."

Your self-proclaimed mother widens her eyes. Perhaps you knew more than she expected. Quickly, she composes herself, clearing her throat.

"Kenny is the reason why you're here. A little bird came singing to me one day, said that Kenny's little minion was going to pull something." She begins. "Something that would pay him in millions. 400 million to be exact."

She clicks her tongue. "Then, I was told your name. My daughter. I've found you."

You raise your brows. A creeping suspicion tempts to accuse her of lying, the words almost escape your throat, but you press your lips in a straight line. Listening seems like the safest option here.
If it turns out that she was posing as your mother, then at least you'd have done nothing to provoke her. You had to play your cards right, endure this and then find a way to escape.

"I made a few calls. Next thing, my men find you unconscious in his backseat. "

"Your men?"

"You're lucky they found you in time," she starts. "He was actually bringing you to Kenny."

She smiles at you, finally standing up from her seat. She walks towards a small nightstand opposite of the room. You watch as she takes her wallet out of a bag.

"How about you spend the day to yourself. I'm sure you have a lot of questions, so we can have dinner tonight. And I can explain everything." Your mother sits on the edge of the bed, next to you.

"Why not now?" You press.

"Wouldn't you prefer to spend some time in Osaka?"

You nearly choke on your own spit. "O-Osaka?"

She thrusts her arm outwards, presenting a sleek credit card. Her printed name glistens in the sun, earning a scrutinizing expression on your face. You read her name as you hesitantly take the card, swiping your fingers over the engraving. She shares the same family name as you.