Chapter 4 - Testing You

Two Months Later
*Gibbs' POV*

"Ok. So we need to figure out how to fix this whole mess. Agent Gibbs, you're team hasn't solved a case in weeks. I'm pretty sure your rule has something to do with it." Jeanine paces through her office.

"Why would my rule be the cause? They have worked together for years." I say.

"Yes, but Gibbs, if they can't fully communicate with one another how can you expect them to work a crime scene together? They are probably miserable. Something has to change, and soon... For gods sakes, Jethro. We're married, too... We know what it is like." Jeanine walks out the door and slams it shut. I sit at the table and think, nothing could possibly fix this other than changing my rule again. I stand up and make my way to the railing, watching over as my team sits nearly lifeless. They look totally helpless, depressed, and confused.

"DiNozzos, McGee, Palmer." I say and wave them up to me. They look at each other with questioning eyes.

"Yes, Gibbs?" Ashton asks when they finally approach me.

"I... Uhh... Grab your gear."

"But, boss... We don't have a crime scene?" McGee asks, more confused than before.

"Just testing you." I try to cover my lie.

"Ok..." DiNozzo raised his eyebrow to me.

"Well that was strange." I hear Ashton whisper as they make their way back down the stairs.

"God damn it Jeanine. How can I change the rule back without bringing back all of the constant drama?" I rush over to her.

"You're a smart man, Agent Gibbs. Figure it out. I believe in you." Jeanine says, and with that she leaves.

"Yeah, thanks a lot hun." I shake my head and open some files sitting on her desk. To my surprise, they aren't from crime scenes. They are pictures of my team. Happy and smiling. Oh god what have I done..." I flip through more of the pictures and find one of Abby and Ashton's kids at Peyton and MacKynzie's birthday party. I quickly turn it over and feel my face get hot. I have to fix this.