Chapter 15 - Come

"Alright... I have some news for you all." Gibbs says hesitantly. The room is quiet as we all look around questioning what Gibbs has in mind, "Director Gibbs has decided, much against my constant arguing, to retire... Meaning we need a replacement director. Jeanine and I have been feverishly hunting to find the perfect director over the past weeks, and we have come to a decision. Anna, would you like to meet my team?"

We all look up to see a tall, dark haired woman, descending the steps to the squad room. "Gibbs, why didn't you tell us?" McGee asks.

"I did not feel that I had to." The woman enters the bull pen and Tony's face flushes, "Team meet Anna Smith. Anna Smith, meet my team. Anthony DiNozzo, Ziva DiNozzo, Timothy McGee, and Ashton Palmer."

"...Tony..." Anna says as her eyes widen. Tony looks back at her and starts to grab his things.

"I... I have to go." Tony rushes off to the elevator as we watch in wonder.

"What is going on?" I ask quietly.

"Well... Sorry about this... I didn't realize that he was still working for NCIS... Ton... Anthony and I used to date... Actually we were engaged at one point... And..." Anna stopped, cut short by Gibbs' words.

"You don't need to continue." Gibbs says, awkwardly checking his watch, "Well would you look at that... We have a case. Grab your gear."

"Director Smith... Umm... Would you care to join us?" I ask. She stops dead in her tracks. Gibbs, McGee, and Ziva give me questioning looks, "I mean... You might want to get a feel of what you're in for..."

"No... No, thank you, Agent Palmer. But I think I will just stay here." Anna tries to make her current situation less awkward.

"Are you sure? I think Ashton is right. You are going to be our director, don't you think you should know what we go through? How we get things done?" McGee asks, joining me at my side.

"I'm positive. Thank you."

"Really. Come with us. At least for the sake of DiNozzo... It seems like you two need to sort some things out." Gibbs says.

"Alright fine. But nothing is going to stop either of us from our work. You do know that?"