Chapter 3

"Charlie, how's the degree coming along?" asked Dad, passing the bowl of mashed potatoes to Mom.

With Denver's help, I managed to stay in my adult mind. I sat next to him on his right and Charlie was towards his left side at the end of the table. If what Denver said was true, Mom and Dad were mistaken about his and Charlie's relationship.

I fidgeted in my seat while I waited for the food to make its rounds and arrive at my plate. Each time, I stood and passed the dishes back after I got a reasonable amount.

Mom looked happy to see that I wasn't screwing up like she thought I would. I did slip on the floor earlier, but Denver had helped me. Of course, I'd blushed from the embarrassing moment, but also from feeling his warmth seep into my upper body where his hands had grabbed for support. I had quickly returned to my seat and apologized, but Denver merely chuckled and ruffled my hair.

I smiled up at him, trying to ignore Mom's hateful stare. It felt unusually intense, which made me feel frightened. I tried to keep my feelings under wraps and not show anything on my face, but I think Dad noticed because he patted Mom's shoulder. In an instant, she calmed down and leaned into him. In an effort to calm me this time, Dad leaned over and slipped his fingers between my shoulder blades. He rubbed firmly to encourage my relaxation, so I took a few deep breaths to calm my fear and then quietly thanked him. Charlie glanced at me with an expression of worry, but I smiled back.

"Charlie, your dad asked you a question." reminded Mom, although her tone was sharp and cold.

Charlie flinched. "R-right, sorry. It's extremely tough, but I'm in my second to last year."

"You're really going to be a veterinarian?" I asked with a grin. "That's awesome. You've always loved helping animals."

She grinned. "Yeah, so even though the work is arduous, the end goal is worth it to me."

"You're really admirable. I wish we had another one as motivated as you." remarked Mom, and I slowly curled into myself. "Really, Emil, isn't it about time to move out and get a job?"

"Y-yeah..." I whispered, pushing the green beans around on my plate. "I probably should."

Her eyes widened, as though she wasn't expecting me to say that. Dad stiffened, and I swallowed thickly as the tension increased in the room. I glanced at Denver, but he looked proud of me for some reason.

"Perhaps we should wait a bit longer, Charlize." murmured Dad. "He's not ready for it."

"Yes, I suppose you're right." She smiled behind one hand. "Don't worry about it, Emil."

My stomach roiled with unease due to her tight expression. Maybe if Denver hadn't warned me, I would have never seen these blatant signs. I have to be more cautious.

"So, Denver, what do you do for work? Are you still in college?"

"No, sir. I have already received my doctorate in psychology. I work as both a licensed psychologist and part-time therapist to those who need lighter help." replied Denver with a smile.

Wait, what? Is that why Charlie wanted him to talk to me? Because I'm not right in the head? Although, I'm not okay in any way as an abnormal mass of flesh, skin, and bone. I can't even be called a normal human being.

"How surprising!" exclaimed Mom. "With your frame, I would have expected construction or heavy duty work. Or something else along those lines, anyway."

Denver shook his head. "I got this height and frame from my father. Since I was a child, he has worked as a loyal second-in-command ranchhand to a successful rancher until the woman partially retired and handed over more than half of the duties of her business to my father. That pay increase was how I could to get my tuition when I was younger. By now, I've paid back the entirety of my loans."