Chapter 27

Dallas was close to tears for the second time today while he waved us off. A few days had passed since I first called him "Papa Dally," so now it was time to head home. The evening after Dallas became "Papa Dally" was when Denver had me sit on a chair next to him and greet his client whom I had hugged quite awhile back.

I'd been really nervous, but the man looked happy to see me. Because of that I was in the next session, too. I would hug one of my plushies and fall back into a younger version of myself while listening to Denver and his client, but neither seemed to mind when I walked Bull across the desk and quietly talked to him. I would snap into awareness whenever Denver called my name, though, so I could speak with the tired-looking client.

"What are you thinking about, Emil?"

I looked up at my man and shrugged. "Nothing particularly important. Dallas was really sad today."

Denver sucked in a breath and bit his lip. "Y-yeah," he answered quietly, "But I feel the exact same."

"I know, Daddy. We should call Dallas once we get home."

He quietly agreed, then asked, "Are you feeling sad, baby?"

I eyed him, then gently rubbed my swollen, itchy eyelids. "Of course I am. If not, why in the world did those tears gush out earlier?"

Denver chuckled. "Good point."

After that, it grew quiet between us for awhile. Denver turned on the radio and fiddled with the buttons for a minute, giving up not long after that. My thoughts drifted to my sister, the robbers who killed my parents, even the creepy old man who attacked me and harassed Denver. My man had endured that horrible old man's harassment and kept the trauma buried deeply inside himself. Also, thinking of the old, creepy, former camp counselor...

"Hey, Daddy?"

"Yeah?"

"When is the court date again to testify against that evil old man?"

Denver paused, then frowned. "I don't remember. Could you check the calendar on my phone, baby?"

I grabbed his phone from the cupholder and unlocked it, then tapped on the calendar app to check. My eyes widened slightly.

"You're really cutting it close, Daddy."

Denver chuckled. "Yeah, now I remember making sure we would get back with a few days to prepare."

"That is the case, Daddy."

He smiled at me, although it faltered and his expression went a little dark. The air waves between us became quiet and we immersed ourselves in silence. This time, unfortunately, it wasn't pleasant. I could sense the growing uncomfortableness and unease from my lover, so I turned in my seat and reached over the armrest to place my left hand onto his right forearm.

"Daddy," I started softly, then he visibly relaxed. Denver took a deep breath in and slowly let it out before I continued, "Everything will work out and be okay. But I have a proposition for you."

He eyed me for a split second. "What kind?"

"I want you to attend a session with a therapist."

Denver tensed and he gripped the steering wheel. "Why would you say that, baby? I'm not—!" he stopped himself mid-shout, then calmed down a little. "I'm fine, I don't need it."

"You don't want it, but you do need it, Daddy." I firmly stated, then held up one finger when he went to protest. "I love you and I really want you to be at your very best in every way. And I can see that you're having an internal war inside yourself because of that evil old man. And I know that if the bastard gets locked up for a long time you'll feel better, but that doesn't get to the root of the problem. No matter how much of an amazing psychologist you are, Denver, you are still a human being who can be hurt like everyone else. I know you rely on me for a lot of things, but you need professional help."