Chapter 32

"How'd it go?"

Carver lifted his face from the pillow, his face aflame. "G-great," he whispered shyly. "Sawyer is..."

"Amazing?" I offered, and he nodded. "How so?"

"Do I have to say?"

I shook my head, sitting down next to him on the couch. "Of course not. You don't have to tell me anything."

Carver twisted and laid down on his left side, putting his head on my lap. "Emil..."

"Yeah?"

"Thanks for setting me up with Sawyer. I had a great time with him last night and he seems to be interested in me, too. I gave him my phone number, so we've been texting on and off this morning and afternoon."

I grinned. "Great!"

Carver's face was flushed. "He's very...intense at times." he added, squeezing his fists against his chest. "It's not bad, just different."

I kept pushing my fingers through his light brown hair, so he pressed the back of his head against my stomach. "Do you want to elaborate?"

"Well, 'want' is a little bit of a strong word..." he whispered. My soft laughter made Carver smile. "Sawyer is a little sadistic and he likes to tease me. It makes me wonder if he wants to watch me cry, but he never says anything that hurts my feelings. It's more just brief mentions or topics that make me all pouty."

"That's cute. How did he treat you aside from teasing your cute self?"

Carver blushed and covered his face, muffling his whining. Once he calmed down, Carver explained, "He's a total gentleman. Really sweet, gracious, and clearly enjoys affection. I think he's perfect for me. I just hope he feels even a smidge of what I do for him because that means I have a chance."

I'm super happy for Carver. And, although I'm curious about who would be taking the lead in bed, I think that would make my best friend internally combust from sheer embarrassment and mortification. So, I'll keep that question to myself.

Carver smiled to himself. "Y'know, I never thought how much my life could change in a moment. Monotonous years of working with clients had taken a lot of the joy out of me. I still enjoyed creating plans as an architect, but it just wasn't as fun with my whole life revolving around my job. But meeting you, Emil, changed my life. Thank you for accepting the big lug as your daddy dominant."

I snickered and tousled his hair. "You're welcome, Carver. Thanks for being my and my big lug's best friend—our dear brother and one of our precious family members."

He sniffled. "Aww, Emil, you're gonna make me cry again like last night."

"If you do, can I take pictures and send them to Sawyer for you?"

Carver frowned. "Don't you dare," he said as he rolled onto his back, then he noticed my cheeky grin. "You sure like to tease now, huh?"

"Well, you're cute and I like your reactions."

He blushed and rolled again, this time tucking his face against my stomach. I chuckled and leaned over him, giving Carver a hug. He hugged my waist and relaxed with a soft sigh.

Denver was working right now in his office. He's been sorting files and rearranging furniture to welcome his patients if they want to have an in-person appointment again. He wanted me to rest because we'd been working hard unpacking boxes to make this place—our home—more homely.

Last night, Charlie split ways with us to head back to her dorm while Carver had gone off with Sawyer. Denver and I returned home and just managed to get ready for bed before collapsing onto it. We were out like a light, but we had left a key for Carver under the welcome mat. As far as I know, Carver came in really late and slept on the couch because we don't have guest beds yet.