Chapter 5

"Rhea, calm down." I heard Denver say quite loudly and firmly, and then it became quiet.

Surprisingly, there is a door into Denver's office from the hallway outside and that's how his patients enter for their sessions. This particular lady had a bit of a mental breakdown while I was getting breakfast. I could hear her crying for a minute more while Denver soothed her with gentle words and then there were soft murmurings as per usual afterwards.

Denver has soundproofing panels in his office, but sound still gets through under the door to the main area of his apartment, which is why I could hear what was going on sometimes. I do my best to ignore the contents of what's being said loudly by the patients for their sakes.

I took my bowl of raisin bran to the couch and began to eat, yawning a few times in between spoonfuls. I was still sleepy, but just too hungry to really care.

It was very quiet when I finished eating, so I quickly washed the bowl and spoon and set them in the dish rack. My fingers twitched. I wanted to see Denver, but my little self was coming out. I went back to the bedroom, then grabbed a couple plushies and sat on the bed.

"Will Panda and Bunny play wit' me today?" I grinned, tapping their soft noses. "You promise? Yay!"

On the bed, time passed quickly while playing with my friends. It was so fun 'cause Bunny wanted to hop, so I bounced a little bit on the bed with him. Panda wanted to crawl around the bed and find somewhere nice to flop down, so I did that after playing with Bunny. I followed that sweet and spicy scent of Denny, then curled up with my head on his pillow.

My cheeriness is all gone now. I want to see Denny. When would he be done? I miss him. I want to be held again and kissed on the head. I pouted and curled tighter with Panda.

"Denny..."

__________________________

Denver

I could barely focus on my work this past week. The very thought that a beautiful young man was in my house and waiting for me to shower him with affection and attention had me antsy to get things done so I could have more time to spend with him. He had agreed to be my little boy for awhile, so I planned to make sure that he loved it so much that he would agree to stay permanently.

Emil Robertson, my beautiful baby boy. His features were delicate and his smile was so bright, beautiful, and completely stunning. It made me furious to think that his parents would ever lay a hand on him.

When his shy, soft voice stuttered ever so delicately while he introduced himself in the foyer last week, I was floored before I could even take a good look at him. Emil was so polite and careful in everything he did that it broke my heart. Even in his little mind, he couldn't bring himself to be bad. Emil must have been horrifically beaten to react that way.

When I took him to the hospital that first night, I made sure to take pictures of my little boy's body and sent them to a court judge who I knew. Attached to the email, there were written accounts from Charlotte and I about what happened. I had already received a response from the judge that I hoped would be positive news for Emil, but only if he could truly see and understand his situation.

I raked my hands through my shoulder-length hair and glanced at the clock. I stiffened. It was already past lunchtime and Emil hadn't approached my door. I stood up suddenly, hearing my rolling chair hit the back wall. My feet carried me to the door, which I swung open immediately and almost slammed it against the doorstop. I caught it just in time to avoid scaring Emil, wherever he may be in my apartment.

I quickly scanned the living area. The blanket Emil uses during his naptime had been neatly folded over the back of the couch, and a bowl and a spoon were in the dish rack. It was completely silent. That kind of silence could mean something bad, but I am hoping that everything is okay with my sweet boy.