Chapter 37

I thumbed the straps of my denim overall shorts, adjusting the round-necked collar of my favorite t-shirt in aquamarine that matched my daddy dominant and fiancé's eye color.

The non-little young man watching over me as my guide for this trial run gestured to various farm-themed accessories that I might want to wear for fun. I perused the options, noting a straw hat and even face paint were options. That's really cute and sweet, actually. I could see this being a really fun job experience for littles (like me) in a less stressful environment.

"See you anything you like?" asked Miles, smiling when I nodded. "Which one?"

I picked up one pumpkin hair clip and a second clip that was a pitchfork shape, then used the mirror in the changing room to put them in place. My longer unruly waves now always need to be pulled back for whenever I help Denver with dishes or cooking. And since I'll be serving food and drinks, clips make sense to me.

"Nice choice. If you're ready for me to start giving you the details and tour, just let me know."

Miles was really patient. I could tell he wasn't forcing himself to feel any which way. He just seemed happy to be of service, which was a nice thing to experience. I didn't feel rushed or anxious thanks to him, and that really concreted my understanding of Mrs. Garden and the ethics of those she hires.

After a deep breath to calm my nerves, I looked up at Miles with a determined expression. "I'm ready now."

"Great, I'm glad. Follow me; the train tour is starting."

I couldn't help my soft laugh and Miles smiled as he glanced back. I was motioned closer, so I stayed close to my guide as he showed me around. I hesitantly waved to every person I could see, then spotted a few people in the kitchen helping with prep work using child safety tools in case they slipped back into little-space or maybe just in case a little gets too close. That's smart.

"You'll be using a notebook and pen when taking orders at whichever tables you're assigned to and you can leave a note with the chefs in the kitchen to ask for help with a customer if needed." explained Miles, so I nodded.

"While there isn't a need to rush, food and drinks should be delivered in a timely manner unless something happens in the kitchen. Although that is rare, if it happens, just ask the customers at your tables for patience while we get things sorted out."

"Sounds reasonable. I think I can do this," I replied with a smile. "What about breaks?"

"Each employee works two to three hours and then receives an hour and a half break to refresh before starting their six-hour shift again. You can return to work early if you choose since not all littles need that time away from people."

I was surprised, to be honest, and my face definitely showed it. Miles chuckled and had me watch the proceedings with the other servers for awhile.

"Emil, I'm sure you heard this from Mrs. Garden, but this is a workplace geared towards littles being able to work despite their age-regression issues. It's not a normal job, as you can tell, but our boss' hope is that everyone can enjoy themselves with what they're doing and gain experience working in a safe space. That way, if you can gain more control over your stressors in the future, you can move on to another job with some confidence backing you. I for one know how horrible it is when employers look at your blank resumé and give you the side eye when you're older than eighteen."

I looked at Miles' uncomfortable expression, then gently patted his back. "Those are good points. Thank you."

Miles brightened up, then handed over my notebook and pen as a couple customers entered the cafe. "Here, tables 1 and 3 are yours. Do your best and good luck."