Chapter 16

I opened my mouth and Papa fed me another bite of dinner. While I chewed, my parents stiffened when banging started on the front door.

I glanced over to the window to see some shadowy shapes moving around outside. I managed to keep a straight face, but I was really happy. I knew Daddy would come for me!

Papa cupped my head and tucked it against his shoulder. "Charlize, what should we do?"

Mama snorted. "Take Emil upstairs. I'll answer the door."

Immediately, Papa left the table and hurried upstairs. I heard the banging on the door continue, then just as the bedroom door shut, the sounds stopped downstairs. Papa was breathing heavily as he looked around, then he stuffed me into the closet.

"Stay, Emil. You'll be a good boy and stay, right?"

I tilted my head and grinned. "It'll be okay, Papa."

He ruffled my hair and closed the door, then locked it shut. I heard him leave and lock the bedroom door, then he marched downstairs. I curled my arms around my knees and smiled to myself.

"Denver came for me. Probably with Carver, too. And I bet Charlie's here!" I whispered, nearly giddy with excitement.

But apparently the sounds hadn't completely stopped as the racket downstairs began to grow in volume until I heard a crash, several thuds, and then silence. After waiting several minutes without breathing very much, I frowned as I stared into the dark.

"Is he coming?" I asked myself. "He's going to come find me, right?"

I fiddled with my shackles and continued to wait. It felt like more than a few minutes passed after I asked myself that question. I continued to wait in silence. Hurried footsteps made themselves known to my ears. I perked up and rolled forward onto my knees. My heart sank when I heard unfamiliar voices.

"Here's a locked door. There are probably valuables."

"Do we have time to unlock it?"

"Just bash it open."

I heard a deep inhale and then a loud bang, the sound of wood splintering and giving way. I held my breath. These were burglars, not rescuers. And what happened to my parents?

The door creaked as it swung open. "Holy shit, it's a kid's room."

"Then where's the kid?"

"We don't want any witnesses, so we should find it."

I held my breath and huddled back into the corner. The heavy footsteps made the floor creak.

"Not under the bed—wait, what the fuck is this?"

The chain links rattled together. The other two guys inhaled sharply as the one who found the chains dropped them.

"Yo, do you think we just did a good deed?"

"Then where the fuck is the kid?"

I felt a sneeze coming on and I couldn't stop it in time. The talking stopped and I knew they knew where I was hidden.

"Wow, a lock on a closet. Who the fuck does that?"

"Psychos, probably. Especially if they're keeping a kid chained to a bed."

I heard a loud snap and the sound of a heavy metal lock dropping to the floor. The closer door slid open and light poured into the darkness. I whined and covered my eyes, then felt a large hand wrap around my forearm.

The man pulled me out of the closet and I practically fell against him because I tripped on the way out. I sneezed again and sniffled, wiping my eyes.

"Yeah, he's got shackles on his ankles. He was definitely confined here."