CHAPTER 7

James stayed true to his words and did not tell Justin anything. On the other hand, Fiona could not care less whether Justin knew about Noah because it wasn't his business.

Leaving her troubles aside, the best thing about the entire week was that her best friend finally got the job that she deserved, and now she had someone other than James in front of whom she didn't have to pretend to have a perfectly happy married life.

She is free to be herself. And that was pretty relaxing in itself.

It was Friday night, and Fiona was doing nothing but munching on chips to satisfy her ravenous appetite. She has been consistent in following the rules she has set for herself. Just when she was about to open another packet of chips, the doorbell rang. She knew that Justin wasn't at home, and because he had the keys, he wouldn't ring the doorbell, so she went to open the door only to find James standing in front of her with a tiny polythene bag.

"Hey, Fiona," He greeted her happily.

"Hey," she smiled and stepped aside, giving him space to enter.

"Since Justin is running late and I was bored, I came in early. I have also got ice cream." He showed her the ice cream box in the bag. "Come on, let's put this in the freezer before it melts."

Fiona accompanied him in the kitchen. James would be lying if he said that he came in early because he was bored. Partially yes, he was bored. But he also knew that Fiona was having a hard time living with Justin, whether she accepts it or not. Therefore, he made it a personal mission to cheer her up while he could and perhaps get her and Justin to talk.

It was the least he could do for his friends.

Yes! He considers Fiona Carter as his friend now. He likes her and trusts her. He is also certain that she is the right person for Justin. So now, he has made this a personal mission to bring those two closer, if not together—more like not to let them toss away their marriage without even giving it a chance.

"So you had dinner? Justin is getting pizza," he asked her.

"Yes, I already ate," she told him, although pizza sounded delicious. Her statement was technically not a lie because eating chips was her dinner, even if it didn't fill her up.

"Well, good thing then I got dessert," he said while removing the ice cream.

"Don't open it. I really don't want to..." Before Fiona could say anything further, James cut her off.

"Fiona. No one can say no to ice cream. Plus, I am hungry, and Justin is taking a hell of a time." He handed her a spoon, and they began nibbling on ice cream like kids.

"So, how do you like working with Emily? It was good thing she was able to join immidiatly." Fiona asked him, intrigued.

"It is nice," James said, carefully choosing his word.

"Nice?" Fiona raised her eyebrows.

"Well, for starters, she is interesting. Unlike any other person I met. It is a different experience. I never had an associate like her. She was quickly able to take all the work from Briella. Plus, she is good at her work. So she should be fine, and so will I. At least, I hope." James' words made Fiona chuckle.

She was aware that Emily might be a handful, but her buddy also knew when not to cross her line.

On the other hand, Justin dashed to the door with two pizza boxes in one hand and a pair of house keys in the other. He hoped that James didn't reach before him or else he would kill him. Hungry James is not someone you want to deal with.

He can get cranky.

Justin pushed open the door and made his way to the kitchen. He was taken aback to see Fiona laughing with his best friend. They were both seated in the chair, enjoying ice cream from the box.