CHAPTER 9

It has been almost two months since their wedding, yet there has been no positive response from Justin. Fiona's hope of ever having a regular conversation with her future ex-husband was dwindling with each passing day.

After lunch that day, she thought that Justin would maybe talk to her. She had tiny hope, but now she is past caring.

That guy was bipolar, or maybe it was just her. Except for her, he is friendly with every goddamn person on this planet. As soon as he sees or even senses her, some switch goes off on him, and he acts oddly. Sometimes it feels that he is accusing her of everything, and she has had enough of those looks from him. She needs time off—a well-deserved break from work and from Mr. Justin Carter.

So, she decided that she would crash at Emily's place for the night. As soon as her work got over, she and Emily left for home. It was smart thinking on Fiona's side not to relocate all her belongings to Justin's place when she married him. More than half of her things are still at her previous residence.

As soon as they arrived home, both girls changed into their PJs and made themselves comfortable on the couch. Mason, their other friend, who also happens to be their next-door neighbor, joined them.

When Mason heard the sound of rain, he said, "Jeez, the weather is horrible out there."

"Lucky for us that we reached home in time," Emily stated.

While making herself more comfortable on the couch, Fiona stated, "Hot spicy Chinese, rain, and a nice movie; there can be no better night than this."

She missed her home. It had been a long time since she could breathe without feeling uneasy.

Emily added, "I second that."

She had missed Fiona's presence in their home. Nevertheless, she understood that her best friend had to live with her good-for-nothing husband. However, she was also pissed at Justin for treating Fiona poorly. At the same time, she was glad that she could be present for her friend during her tough time. Fiona meant the world to her; she always stood beside her when she needed her most. No one can mess with her best friend and get away from it.

"Fiona, did you inform Justin about staying here for the night?" Mason asked her in concern.

"I don't need his permission," Fiona responded with a scowl.

"Fi, I know that you don't like him, but at the very least, drop him a message." Emily rolled her eyes as he tried to reason with her.

Fiona wore a thoughtful expression on her face. She took her time picking up her phone, but the battery was about to run out, so she went to her room to charge it. She plugged her phone into the charger and opened Justin's contact to text him. For god knows what reason, Mason thinks Justin cares despite his knowledge of their strange relationship.

She was ready to type, 'I am staying with Emily today,' but then she decided otherwise.

She returned to the living room and joined Emily on the couch after closing the screen and leaving her phone there. She doubts that Justin would even notice her gone, so it won't make a difference. As it is, she hardly sees him at home, and there are only a few exchanges of words or glances, but that is for the benefit of others. Therefore, not giving any more thought, she took up her plate and began eating her meal without feeling guilty.

However, the situation was different at Justin's house. He hoped to catch Fiona on her way out, but unfortunately, she had already left with Emily. He decided to try and talk to her at their house. Justin has been having a hard time for the past few days as he was not able to meet his wife. First, because of work, and now she has decided to ignore him, not that he is blaming her.