CHAPTER 22

To Fiona's astonishment, she and Justin were able to spend the whole day with Laurel and Vincent with ease. Justin kept his promise, and Fiona didn't have to lie to her parents, which was a huge relief. They didn't even have to pretend to be in love, as both their parents understood that Fiona and Justin weren't married like any other couple. Therefore, the essence of companionship will gradually come to them with time.

Justin really appreciated how broad-minded and understanding his in-laws were, as they didn't judge him for telling them that he and his wife were taking baby steps. They are still in the process of getting comfortable with each other.

However, the most uncomfortable situation occurred during the night. Since Fiona's parents were here, room sharing was inevitable. Luckily, Laurel and Vincent decided to call it a night early, so they had a chance to shift Justin's luggage to her room discreetly, and fortunately, he had only carried a single bag.

"Nice room," he said when they entered her room.

"Thanks. It is just an empty room." Fiona muttered.

Fiona's room was nothing unusual, yet it gave a small glimpse of her personality. The walls of her chamber had faded to a light peach color. There was a twin bed in the middle. She also had a small dressing table right next to the front door. On the right side of the entrance, a study table was attached to an almost empty bookshelf.

"Naah! I liked it. I can imagine you spending your childhood years here. I could literally visualize you sitting at your study table with your nose buried in the books or furiously working on your computer or laptop. I am also sure that your bookshelf used to be at least half full. And also not to forget you and Emily spending your entire childhood in this room." With a smile on his face, Justin stated.

Fiona couldn't help but also give him a small sigh, which was good enough proof that he was not wrong. "Me, Emily, and Annabella. We have spent so much time here, and I could never forget it."

"Annabella? Is it the same woman we encountered in Sip & Dip?" Justin asked, facing her.

He didn't know they used to be friends. But then, they had not exactly shared their personal memories with each other.

"Yes. All three of us were best friends up until college ended. It was pure serendipity that we were able to attend the same university. It was one hell of a good time we had. At least Emily and me." Fiona told him, reminiscing about her old days.

"What happened? Annabella is your friend, and Noah is your ex. That means..." Before Justin could, Fiona completed her sentence.

"She slept with my boyfriend. Apparently, they had been fooling around for a couple of months." Fiona stated.

"I am sorry, Fiona. I didn't know. I wouldn't have asked you if I knew...." But Fiona interrupted him.

"Relax, Justin. This is not a taboo subject for me. I am not the first girl to go through this, and I will certainly not be the last. Plus, it is okay. I mean, I had my term exams, so I was occupied. Therefore, getting over him was easy."

"Still Fiona."

"Don't worry about it. For the record, he got his fair share of beatings from Emily." Fiona patted Justin's left shoulder and went to sit on her bed.

"You know, when I found out he had hurt you, I was glad that I had trusted my instincts and didn't hire him. He was qualified for the position, but something about him bothered me. I am sorry, Fi. If I knew before, I would not have even considered interviewing him, let alone hiring him."

Fiona didn't know how to respond to him.

"It wasn't your fault, Justin. I don't know what came over him. But back then, he wasn't physically abusive. Whatever the case may be, what's done is done. To be honest, I was praying that by some miracle, you would not hire him."