CHAPTER 25

It was Sunday afternoon, and Justin was beyond agitated. It was as though the universe was conspiring against him and Fiona.

After their so-called deal and a little work, he planned on having lunch with her, but his wife had to attend an impromptu client meeting. Then he had intended to have dinner with her, but he had to meet with a client this time.

Both were exhausted by the end of the night, so he decided to make her listen to him on Saturday. But luck was not on his side. The moment he called Fiona's name, she got a call from Adrian. They had a deadline to reach. After a heated discussion between Shanghai and Adrian, they had to complete the website development by Sunday. Therefore, Fiona rushed to the office without even having her breakfast. She was also home late at midnight, but fortunately, she had informed him beforehand.

Adrian and Fiona both needed to work on Sunday because they had a lot of work to complete. Even Adam, one of the other employees, had joined them to speed up the process. Justin just couldn't comprehend how to make things work between them because they were not even getting time to spend even a few minutes, let alone a few hours, with each other.

Time was ticking by. Already three days had passed since her resignation letter, and yet there was no progress in their relationship. It seemed like they had both come to a halt, but time was passing more quickly than he would have liked.

The following two days were also a disaster on his end. Since Adrian and Fiona had worked on the weekend, he had to compensate them for two days by giving them time off. Fiona took advantage of this situation and volunteered to babysit Max for a few hours. Whereas Justin was concerned, he was gloomy, which didn't go unnoticed by James and Emily.

Justin was looking out his window on a Tuesday afternoon when Emily and James barged in. It looked like she owned this place, but she only had the upper hand on him in terms of his personal life.

"Why such a sour face, boss?" Emily asked him as she sat in the chair.

"At the very least, you recognize that I am your boss," Justin stated, rolling his eyes.

"Of course I do. I may not be your biggest fan, as you are my best friend's husband, but I do respect you as an employer. Even after being a half-wit clod, you deserve it." Emily said.

"Wow, respect from Emily. Now that is something I should cherish, despite being an insult in the face of it." He stated, which made Emily smug, and James rolled his eyes.

"You should cherish it, alright, but don't let this get to your head. Fiona told me about your deal with her. I have to admit that it was big of you. You just made me look at you in a new light." When Justin heard Emily's words, he remembered his conversation with Fiona at her parents' house.

Emily is really something else. One of the frankest people one could ever come across.

"She told you about it?" Justin asked her, even though he knew that he shouldn't be surprised about it.

"You really think she wouldn't have." Emily raised her eyebrows.

"Forget I even asked," Justin stated.

He was about to say further, but his phone rang. It was Fiona, much to his surprise. She never calls him. Only use text when absolutely essential. So, he immediately picked up the call in alert, hoping that she was fine.

"Fiona." As soon as he picked up the phone, he said.

"Hey, Justin. Are you free for two minutes?" She asked nervously.

"Yes. You never have to ask me that." He told her. He needs to improve on his strategy to make Fiona feel openly comfortable with him.

"Thanks. I actually wanted to ask whether Max could come to your place. Jake and Katie, his parents, are having guests over and...."