CHAPTER 29

It had been five days since the incident, and Justin still had said nothing to Fi. He didn't want to say anything unless he was certain of these doubts, but he had been observing her for a few days. More than he should have because he wasn't proud of it.

He was very well aware that it was not for the right reasons.

He was confident that Fiona had not been using their kitchen since the day she stepped into their house. However, with each passing day, she appeared to be at ease as they both worked together to prepare dinner from time to time.

Although being around Justin had become considerably easier with each passing day, Fiona noticed a change in his demeanor. He appeared to be quite calm and silent, which was unusual for him. She has seen a carefree Justin. And suddenly, she was seeing something altogether different. Something seemed to be keeping him back.

Fiona couldn't resist but asked him as he was pulling bread from the fridge, "Are you alright?"

"We are asking that a lot to each other, aren't we?" Justin asked her.

"I... I don't understand what you mean." Fiona told him. She was confused by Justin's implication.

"Don't you, Fiona?" Justin could not hold it in any longer. "I will come straight to the point. What was the first dish you made here?"

However, Fiona's eyes widen. She had no idea what to say to him.

"I don't remember. It was a long time ago." Looking down, she told him. Fiona couldn't look him in the eyes.

"Emily told me that you are a terrible liar, and now that I've seen it for myself. I am not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing." He remarked.

"What do you mean?" Fiona asked him hesitantly.

"I know that you haven't prepared a single meal here. In fact, I know that you have hardly used anything in here." This made Fiona purse her lips.

"Justin. You don't..." But he interrupted her.

"Don't even think about denying it or covering it up. I had my suspicions during the night I made the lasagne, but it was confirmed when I saw the grocery bill."

"Bill?" Fiona asked him with a frown.

"For the past three months, I have been asking Grace to stock the supplies for the kitchen. To my utter surprise, there was no increase in the expense. We are the only people living here, and the cost isn't justified." Justin told her. "So, just answer me, whether I'm correct to conclude that you haven't used the kitchen since the day you came here."

"Yeah," Fiona said, closing her eyes for a few seconds.

She didn't want Justin to find out, especially since things had just begun to mend between them.

Justin drew his eyelids closed as a result of her response. He felt some rage inside him. It was one thing to think about it and completely another to listen to her. He prayed that his theory was wrong, even if it meant another fight with Fiona. He didn't want his conclusion to be proven correct, even if he came out as the worst person.

"What the hell, Fiona? What in God's name were you thinking?" He asked her angrily.

"Justin," But he was so enraged that he wouldn't let her talk.

"Goddamit, Fiona! Please tell me you didn't skip a meal?" He asked her, praying that she didn't because God only knows what he would do if she did.

"I..." Fiona didn't want to tell him the truth, but her silence was a clear answer.

"You have got to be kidding me. Did you starve yourself?" He was flabbergasted.

"Justin, listen. Please, calm down. You are getting it all wrong." Fiona attempted to keep the situation from escalating.