CHAPTER 36

The pair finally returned to Pelican City after two days. Aside from Cynthia's accident, the days there have been pleasant and relaxing. Justin could also sense that Fiona was becoming more at ease with his presence. However, whereas Fiona was concerned, she knew that she was getting in terms of having her husband around more often. But at the same time, she was also anxious as she had no clue what the future held.

Day by day, things settled into a rhythm as new emotions between Fiona and Justin surfaced. Much to their dismay, they were unaware of each other's feelings, which often made them apprehensive.

Despite the surprise of not knowing their fate, the couple had been enjoying themselves.

The day they got back from Windshire, Fiona once again got comfortable in the guest bedroom of the Justin apartment. Much to Justin's dismay, he couldn't bring the courage to ask her to share the room. He didn't want to come out strong, especially when things had begun to smooth out between them.

Justin could barely walk on a thin rope, and he didn't want to make any mistake that would jeopardize this chance with his wife. He had a long conversation with his grandmother before departing Windshire. Even if he doesn't support his grandmother's method of getting him married to Fiona, at the same time, he couldn't deny the fact that the intention hidden behind his grandmother's charade was not wrong.

When Cynthia Grams asked Justin about his feelings for Fiona, he knew he couldn't lie to her. Because if he did, he would have been fooling himself. His feelings for Fiona are not new to him because they date back over a year before their marriage.

It started off as a simple attraction, but it has now evolved into something more. It is growing with each passing day.

Even though Justin did not lie to his grandmother, he also did not tell her the complete truth. He just couldn't accept his entire feelings in front of his grandmother or Fiona. Because if Fiona do decide to leave him in the end, Justin knew his heart would not be able to bear it.

Not so fun fact about this is that— It would be entirely his fault!

It had been over a month.

Fiona had been juggling a series of doubts that had been muddled by valid doubts, much like Justin was walking on a thin rope. Her mind and her heart were wandering on the opposite side of the globe—one towards the North Pole and the other towards the South.

The day she started crossing dates on the calendar when she made a decision to give Justin a year, at that time, both parts of her body were walking in parallel.

But not anymore.

Justin had changed the complete course of her direction. The waiting period for one year was reduced to two months, and before she knew it, she wanted to extend it to eternity. She hardly knew him, but there was no logical explanation for her inner desire and feelings. It was beyond her rational thinking.

The moment she gets used to Justin's personality, he does something unexplainable, which throws her off guard—beyond anyone's reach. It also makes her feel guilty from the innermost core because it looks like she has only been taking and not giving.

The night, when they were back at Justin's home, they left for their separate room. At that moment, she wished for Justin to ask her to continue with their living arrangements like they did at his parents'.

But he didn't.

She was disappointed but not upset. The primary reason is that she had no right to be upset. They are still trying to mend their broken relationship, which was never intact in the first place.

Her disappointment, however, did not last long. That's because the next day when she walked into the cabin, she was greeted with a bouquet of purple orchids and a small gift wrapped in red paper, and a ribbon knotted in the shape of a bow.