CHAPTER 40

After the blissful kiss, they both got hold of themselves and went back to their own rooms, flustered. Both were content and gave out a content sigh. However, the very next day, Fiona started pulling back. She tried to appear normal, but Justin was no fool. He could see her retracting from him, and that was something that Justin was having a hard time controlling.

He did try to act like he usually does. He tried to be nonchalant about the entire situation, but it was way more difficult than he thought.

The week was almost over. That was the first kiss that they had shared, and he didn't want it to be their last.

Whereas Fiona was concerned, she was on a timeline.

She didn't know what to do. She needed to clear her doubts, but at the same time, her drawback didn't seem to affect Justin as she had hoped. It wasn't some sick game that she was trying to play or a test that Emily would normally suggest. But things were happening on their own accord.

The current situation and retraction between Justin and Fiona didn't go unnoticed by James and Emily. However, both decided not to interfere, as Fiona and Justin's final decision should be without their influence. But at the same time, they were not going to hold themselves back if their friends needed someone to show them the clear picture. Fiona and Justin belong with each other, so they hope things work out for the better in the end.

Both Fiona's and Justin's anxiety has been increasing with each passing day.

While Justin was extremely worried about his wife's final decision, Fiona was getting worked up on her doubts. She didn't want to make the decision to stay with him for the wrong reason, especially if they were not even in the same space emotionally. But Justin was not making it easy. In the past two months of what she has known him, the real him that she likes to believe is drifting off. For whatever reason, she has a hunch, but she isn't sure.

There is barely a day left for Fiona to call, but Justin seems unconcerned. He never sought to approach her, and he was gradually returning to the old Justin Carter with whom she had begun living.

That scared the crap out of her.

His work was done, and Justin was in his room, sitting on his bed. Fiona had said nothing to him. Today was supposed to be their last day together if Fiona decided to leave, but that woman hadn't said a word. In a way, it did seem like a good thing, but at the same time, her withdrawal from him was not a good sign.

They needed to talk, and, for once, they needed to sort everything out. They need to fix things. So, Justin marched into Fiona's room.

He didn't find her there.

That made him alert. They both returned home together, but neither of them said anything to the other. They'd been playing the game of cat and mouse for the past few days.

He tried to call her, but she didn't pick up. He tried six more times, but there was the same response.

'Not that same thing again.' He groaned in frustration.

He really hoped that she just didn't leave without saying anything. It was only nine, though. But then he became alarmed. Because the Fiona he knew would not leave him in this manner without talking. Even though she had pulled a similar stunt twice, that was in different circumstances altogether.

He was about to walk towards the door in search of his wife, but then he heard a click—the sound of the door opening.

He exhaled a great sigh of relief and marched towards her, embracing her.

"Fiona, are you nuts? Why the hell were you not picking up my calls?" He asked her, still not letting go of her.

"I didn't hear the phone ring. It might have gone on silent, plus I had bags in my hands, and I was in the building waiting for the lift for the past ten minutes." She explained.