CHAPTER 30

Justin spent the entire night lying awake on James' couch. He didn't know what had come over him the previous night. He just couldn't go home with Fiona as he needed to clear his head. So he went straight to James, who welcomed him right away without asking any questions.

When Justin was finally up, James cornered him. "What happened between you and Fiona?"

"Why don't you ask her yourself? You guys seem to be forming a great bond." Justin told him enviously.

"What the hell is that even supposed to mean?" James gave him a frown. "Look, don't you dare take out her anger on me."

"Then what the hell am I supposed to do? Fiona has gone nuts." Justin stood up from the couch and stormed into the kitchen.

"Nuts? What exactly did she do?" James asked his best friend again. Emily was the only nutcase he knew.

"She had been starving herself for over two months. Her ego is so god-darn big that she refused to use anything in our home. She had not cooked a single meal in the kitchen." Justin said angrily.

"That's extreme, even for Fiona." James was taken aback. He didn't realise the impact of Justin's actions on her until now.

"Extreme? This is ludicrous." Justin was beyond frustrated.

"Justin, why do I feel that your rage has more to do with something else than what Fiona did?" James' statement made Justin shut his mouth. "Look, go and talk to her. It is about time you both stopped running from each other. You might just part ways in the end, but at the very least, there will be no misunderstanding between the two of you. Who knows, you guys might become good friends."

James tried to show his friend a different light on the situation. He couldn't figure out any other way to make both Justin and Fiona's life easier, even though he hoped that none of them would go through with the divorce.

Justin knew where James was coming from. They couldn't force themselves on each other.

"I don't want to give up, James. I don't know why, but I can't just let go of her. I am furious, and there is no denying that. But my anger is at both of us. Every time we take one stride forward, we take fifty steps back."

"It's a start, at least. Initially, you guys had taken no steps towards each other. But now, you guys are talking. Hell, even argument is good for a healthy relationship. Your anger towards her is justified, and it only shows that you care. But sometimes, you also need to speak your heart out verbally, especially in your case where there has been too much non-verbal communication between the two of you. Sure, your foundation for marriage is unlike any other I have seen, but there is still a chance for both of you. I know that, and so do you. You just need to figure things out."

"Perhaps you are right." Justin sighed and exhaled.

Justin was about to add something else when James' phone rang. It was Fiona. He gave a glance to Justin and showed his phone to him. "This doesn't look fifty steps backwards to me."

"Do not answer the phone," Justin told him.

"What? Why?" James asked him in confusion.

"Just don't. I will go home and talk to her."

"No, Justin. Don't. I know what you are playing at." James warned him. He knew that Justin understood his previous words, but his rage was still raw.

"Fine. Then go ahead and do what you want. I am going home." Justin stormed out of the kitchen, taking his car keys from the living room's centre table and heading for his house.

James really hoped that his friend wouldn't do anything rash. He was about to call Fiona back, but his phone battery died the very moment, so he went to charge it. Justin would be going home, so Fiona would be fine.