CHAPTER 39

It was twelve-thirty in the morning, and the night was still young. However, the formal event had now devolved into an informal party where guys had loosened their coats and girls had thrown off their tormenting footwear. Thankfully, nothing seemed out of proportion.

Later, both Justin and Fiona decided to call it a night. Emily and James, to their surprise, opted to stay. However, what they did all the while was talk and laugh together.

"I am not going to drive. I have had alcohol, and I am not risking it even for ten minutes." Justin stated outside the building's entrance.

"Good call. How much have you actually drank?" Fiona asked him curiously.

"Not much. But, in case you are wondering, I am not tipsy or even somewhat light-headed. Despite that, alcohol is alcohol. I am not going to put our lives or the lives of anyone else on the road in jeopardy." Justin justified himself.

"Hmm," Fiona said, looking at him intently.

"What?" He asked, seeking to decipher the hidden meaning of her hmm

"Nothing. I am just impressed." With a gentle expression on her face, Fiona stated.

"Well, we could call a cab unless you want to walk? I am not ready for the night to end yet." Justin said, looking at her, hoping she would say yes.

"I don't mind that at all." Fiona grinned. She was enjoying herself with him. More than she thought she could.

Then, in comfortable solitude, they begin walking towards their home. After a few minutes, when he noticed Fiona's arms wrapped over herself, he removed his coat and assisted her in putting it on.

"Thanks," Fiona said gratefully to him.

"Have you ever tried hot chocolate from 'Sip & Dip?" Justin asked her abruptly.

"Not really! Although I usually have my coffee here." Fiona said.

"Then today is your lucky day, milady! After you." Justin opened the door of the café, which was just on the corner of the street where they had been walking.

"Thank you, Sir,"

This café is open twenty-four hours a day and serves some of the best drinks in town.

They resumed their stride when each of them had taken their takeaway cup.

"This is incredible," Fiona said as she took a sip.

"I know, right?" Justin said, taking a sip himself.

"Yes, total bliss."

"That it is." Justin agreed, but he seemed to be buried in his own thoughts.

"What are you thinking so deeply about?" Fiona asked him when she noticed that he suddenly went quiet.

"Nothing major. Just how the hell do you converse so easily with other people? And here, I don't even know where to begin."

"That is because you, Justin Carter, think too much before saying any words to me. All you have to do is let it go."

"I could try that," Justin said in agreement.

"That you should. But you are getting better." Fiona teased him.

They finally reached home. The entire voyage was filled with small talk.

"I had a great night, Justin," Fiona replied to him as she handed him his coat.

"Me too, Fiona." Justin didn't want the night to end like this. He had his hand on her cheeks. "If I want to do something, would you let me do it?" He asked her, coming one step closer to her. They were standing in front of Fiona's door.

"That depends on what you want to do." She told him. She had a hunch, and their proximity was a big giveaway.

Without further ado, Justin closed the distance between them.

Fiona had her arms locked around his neck, and he had one hand on her waist, and the other still pressed to her cheeks, holding her close to him.

Never wanting to let her go.