CHAPTER 38

Things went a notch up between them after the annual office party held by Carter Enterprise. It was a cocktail party. It was Saturday night, and Justin had an inevitable client meeting at his office. He didn't get his suit to the office due to last-minute work, so he asked Fiona if she could get it for him because they would be terribly late if she didn't, and she agreed with no qualms.

Fiona entered just as Justin was finishing up his work on his laptop. He was completely enthralled. In her black sleeveless dress that came just above her knees, she looked stunning. She paired it with black stilettos. As usual, she had minimal make-up, but, unlike other times, she wore red lipstick. It only made her face look more radiant.

"You look amazing." Justin couldn't help but voice his thoughts.

"Thank You." She told him, blushing. Justin couldn't take his gaze away from her.

"Thanks for dropping this by." Justin thanked her, taking the bag from her, which had his suit in it from Fiona.

But Fiona waved it off. "Don't worry about it. I just hope I got everything right."

"I am sure you did. Give me a few moments, and I will get ready. Make yourself comfortable here." Justin went to the bathroom, which was attached to his cabin.

Justin took roughly twenty minutes to get ready. Apart from fumbling with his tie, he was practically dressed. His tie was tight. Fiona was comfortably seated on the couch, heels off her feet, going through her phone when he came outside the restroom.

When Fiona felt Justin's presence, she got up from her seat. He looked too good to be true. "You cleaned up nice."

"Not as much as you," Justin remarked while attempting to loosen his tie.

"You okay?" She asked him when she saw him aggressively adjusting his tie.

"I think I might have tied it a little tighter than I like." He said.

"Let me help you with it." She volunteered and did the job for him. Without realizing it, Justin had kept both his hands on either side of her waist while she was helping him.

He desperately wished for time to stop and to have her this close to him forever. Fiona gently patted both of his shoulders, bringing him out of his daze.

"All done!"

Justin couldn't resist kissing her on the right cheek. "Thanks!"

Fiona blushed as her hands slid to that cheek. "It's okay." She said nervously.

She slowly went towards the couch and wore her heels. While standing, she lost her balance and was about to fall, but Justin caught her by clutching her arm and waist.

"Careful." He told her.

"Sorry. Heels are a pain." She commented.

"Then why torture yourself?" He asked. He never understood the agony that girls go through for high heels.

"First and foremost, it makes you look good. Second, this pair is perfect for this dress. Third, it makes me look tall, and last, you are tall." Fiona made him count for all the logical reasons.

"Ah! So you wanted to match me. Don't worry, sweetheart. Even without heels, we match perfectly." Justin winked.

What he didn't realize was that he used the sweetheart, which didn't go unnoticed by Fiona. When Justin realized the word he had used, he closed his eyes, trying to find words to say to her.

"We should leave now, or else we will be late," Fiona told him.

The blush was very much visible on her cheeks, and it was not from the rouge that she had applied to her face.