CHAPTER 41

Fiona awoke the next day in Justin's arms, unlike any other day. She couldn't believe things had turned out so well for them.

"Good morning," Justin said as he looked at her with sleepy eyes.

"Good morning," she said, hiding her face in his chest.

"I hope you didn't mind with our new sleeping arrangement." He said, praying that he didn't cross any boundaries.

"No, I don't." She said honestly.

They both woke up and went to work, much to their disappointment. Things between them had been going swimmingly.

Little over a month had gone by in the blink of an eye. Except for Justin's new realization, life couldn't have been any better. Fiona and Justin found themselves in new territory with each other after their sentiments were exposed that night.

Emily and James were over the moon. They were finally relieved that Fiona and Justin were not only giving each other chance but were also set on being committed to each other.

Justin had been working on something else in the meantime. He was well aware that he would be taking a risk, but he felt inclined to do so. Even though everything between Fiona and him was very apparent, he still had one thing on his mind.

So one fine afternoon, he took advantage of the situation and invited Fiona out for lunch during office hours.

They made their way to Phoenix. A small suburb on the city's fringes. It was only a fifteen-minute drive from their place of business. He took her to a house after lunch at 'Darbaar Bites.' It is a cozy restaurant in the town that serves one of the best fusion cuisines she has ever tasted.

"What are we doing in front of a deserted house?" Fiona asked him.

"First, let's go inside," Justin said while Fiona followed him inside.

Justin randomly gave her a tour of the entire house. It was magnificent. An open kitchen was joined to the corner of the living area. There were two rooms downstairs and two upstairs. It was a one-story house with an excellent green field in the back and a lovely front porch. On the upper floor, there was also a loft. The entire area was huge, yet cozy. Some could argue that it's too big for only two people, but with so much open space, there's plenty of room to decorate and play. Every nook and cranny in the area can be put to good use. It was simple but lovely, bare yet beautiful—a perfect place for a growing family.

When they returned to the living area, Fiona asked him, "Justin..." However, Justin spoke up.

"How do you feel about the place, Fiona?" He asked her apprehensively.

"It is lovely. But I don't understand." Fiona told him. She didn't want to think something or make something that she could be wrong about.

"Emily once mentioned to me that you always wanted to live in the suburbs. You know, an open place with clear air, greenery everywhere. Basically, something more extensive and warm that the city couldn't give. So, I found a house on the market, and if you like it, we can have it." Justin told her.

"Justin..." Fiona was overwhelmed.

"I know. It may be too soon, especially because we have only recently begun to get to know one another on a more intimate and personal level. But something about this just feels right. Everything about this location, our time, and ourselves— this is not how I wanted to confess, but then I don't want to waste any more time. So, Fiona Carter. I love you—more than I ever thought. There is no pressure on my side. I just wanted to let you know. We can take our relationship at any pace you want. But just know that I love you." Justin finally confessed what he had been feeling for a long time.

"Justin, I love you too," Fiona admitted to him. She had tears in her eyes.

"You do?" He asked her, surprised. He hoped that Fiona felt the same. But to listen to these words from her was music to his ears.

"Of course I do, Justin. I mean, how could I not? You are everything that I ever wanted. Our start was rocky, but you have made me see a world that I never thought I could be part of with everything that has happened. So, Mr. Justin Carter, I love you." She kissed him, to which he gladly responded.

Unfortunately, they had to leave because they still had work to accomplish in the office. However, that night, after dinner, Fiona was contently putting lotion on her hand. Justin came over and hugged her from behind.

"I love you. Did I say that today?" He asked as he kissed her shoulder.

"Yes, and I love you too." She said as she touched her hands with his.

"Fiona, we can wait for the house. I..." But she cut him off.

"I love that house. It is perfect. Close to work yet in the suburbs. When I think about what you said, it is true. I can, without a doubt, imagine ourselves living there and maybe starting a family in the future." Fiona confessed.

This made Justin turn her around. "You serious?"

"Yes, I am. But..." Fiona gave a surprised nod.

"There is always a but." Justin groaned.

"That house is huge, and the location looks prime, so it is definitely going to be expensive," Fiona stated logical facts.

"Yes, it is huge, so we can turn the extra rooms into something useful. Prime location is the best part, Fiona. Close to the city yet away from it. Plus, this town looks amazing. It is a community in itself. And not to sound conceited, we can afford it. It is not that expensive. Since the inside of that house is raw, it is quite reasonable. But the interiors might make us go over the budget. Moreover, I was thinking that rather than selling, we could put our current place on rent." Justin reasoned with her.

"That is a good idea. But...." He didn't, however, allow her to finish. He could see the hesitation in her voice.

"Fiona, don't think too much about this. What is mine is yours, so never even think about it otherwise. And I don't want any discussion or argument about this." Justin told her sternly.

"I just..." But he again cut her off.

When it came to self-respect, Justin understood his wife all too well, especially in their case, where they began dating just a few months after their wedding.

"Fiona, I am sorry to cut you off again, but I understand you well enough to know what you are going to say. I know that you are a self-made woman who is more than capable of looking after herself. But now, you must accept that you are not just a regular employee of Carter Enterprise. I know that things might get tricky at the workplace from time to time, but you are my wife, so you will definitely get special treatment. But we will deal with that together if there is any misconduct by any of the employees in the office. Just know that I am here with you."

"I know that, Justin. Sometimes, everything feels surreal."

"It does to me, too. But when I see you, everything just fits. Like what may come, we will be able to handle it together."

"Justin, I feel the same," Fiona said to him with tears in her eyes, which Justin wiped off gently.

"So don't overthink. One step at a time, and I honestly feel this is the right step we are taking by shifting. Sure, it is not the city, and it might take us time to get used to it, but we aren't far from the city as well. And don't let the money be a denial for the house. I do love the place, and so do you." Justin asked her, hoping that she would say yes.

"Well, there's no other reason for me to say no." Fiona wrapped a tight hug around Justin's neck. He held her in his arms contentedly.

After that, they didn't need any words to exchange. Their actions were the perfect way they expressed themselves.

No awkwardness, no running away from each other, just those two — together in each other's arms.