CHAPTER 23

It was seven o'clock in the morning. The light was shining brightly through the window. It was piercing to an extent, which made Fiona frown in her sleep and turns to the other side to escape it. While doing so, she inadvertently wrapped her right hand over Justin's chest, causing a thump.

The sudden movement jolted Justin awake, only to see a woman's arm on his chest.

When he realized it was Fi, he understood that both of them drew themselves closer to the middle of the bed during the course of night. When Justin looked at his wife, he found her sleeping peacefully, yet she had a slight frown on her face. He involuntarily attempted to remove the frown on her forehead.

Fiona opened her eyes to the strange sensation of someone's hand on her forehead, only to discover Justin staring at her closely.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Fiona inquired, her voice drowsy.

After being caught in the act, Justin tried to cover up. "I was thinking of ways to wake you up."

"Okay," Fiona didn't believe it, but she also didn't bother to think any more about it. She sighed deeply but eventually got out of bed and went to freshen up.

Whereas Justin was concerned, he was deep in thought. He was trying to comprehend the untouched territory of feelings that he was experiencing. To him, it was far too perplexing. After Fiona had departed the bathroom, he hurried inside.

Fiona frowned at his odd behavior but then shrugged her shoulders. She should not be surprised if Justin chooses to disregard her once more. She nodded her head sideways and went downstairs for breakfast.

"Good morning, Fiona." James chirped happily.

"Good morning. Aren't you too happy this morning?" She said this while sitting on the couch in the living room.

Emily responded instead of James. With her mouth full of cheerios, she said. "Why wouldn't he? He has made it his personal mission to annoy the hell out of me."

"Jesus Christ! Emily. You couldn't wait to have breakfast with us?" James asked her, annoyed.

"Nope. Plus, I am not a guest here; you are." Emily pointed out.

"Anyway, James, how was your night?" Fiona asked him.

"It was great. Bob is amazing. He loves ice hockey. Finally, someone with whom I can discuss it."

The previous night, James decided to crash at Emily's place. Since Bob had invited all of them for dinner, he asked James to stay at theirs. Both he and James clicked instantly and had a lot in common.

Emily was not pleased with it, but she chose to keep her thoughts to herself for her father's sake. Bob means the world to her. He was more of a father to her than any biological father, despite the fact that he was her stepfather. As previously said, even though Emily is a tough cookie to crack, she has a golden heart.

"Talk to Justin then. Isn't he your best friend?" Emily said irritably to him.

"Apparently, my own best friend doesn't share the same enthusiasm towards ice hockey as me. So, not really. The intensity of talking about this sport with Justin is not that great. Whereas with Bob, it has reached the pinnacle of satisfaction." With a smile on his face, James stated.

"Urg, just remember that my dad is not your best friend," Emily said as she got up from the couch and walked toward the kitchen.

"Why does it bother her that her dad likes me?" As soon as Emily was out of sight, James asked Fiona.

"Emily's social theory is far too complicated and beyond my logic. So, if I think about it, maybe it's because Emily is still not buddy-buddy with you yet, but Bob likes you. As a result, you have earned some bonus points, which will make Emily not like you less." Fiona attempted to explain to the best of her ability.

"That was definitely not confusing. But I am going to conclude that since Bob likes me, Emily is inclined to like me as well. By the way, don't tell Emily that I have exchanged numbers with Bob. He is a hell of a guy."

"Emily is going to kill you for that. But James, are you man-crushing on Emily's father?" Fiona made a joke.

"Dude, have you seen him? He is incredible. I know he and Emily are not blood-related, but I still could see Emily in him or him in Emily. If you know what I mean." James confessed.

"Yes, Bob has been a huge influence on her life while growing up. He taught her to be tough and at the same time to be kind." Fiona explained.

Not only Emily but Bob has shared his life experiences with her as well. It only made her admire him more.

"Anyway, how was your night with Justin?" James smirked.

He sincerely hoped that things started getting better between them. It would be a miracle if he thought that it was possible in just one night, but a guy could hope. Right?

Fiona didn't want to answer the question, so she tried to deflect attention away from it. "I am hungry. Let's go into the kitchen."

"I know what you did there. But I believe that we have found a newfound territory of friendship. So, I am going to let it pass." James grinned and led them both to the kitchen, followed by Justin soon after, who was looking fresh.

Justin took advantage of Fiona's presence downstairs to clear his head by taking a cold shower. After thirty minutes, he went downstairs to the kitchen, where everyone was seated in the dining area.

While the ladies were preparing breakfast, Fiona's father, Vincent, was reading the newspaper and discussing something with James. On the other hand, Emily was trying to eat a few cheerios.

Laurel, Fiona's mom, greeted him when she saw him. "Good morning, Justin. Why don't you sit down? You like poached eggs, right?"

"I love it, actually," Justin said while casting a brief glance at Fiona, who looked deep in thought.

"Are you all right?" He asked her when she sat next to him because that was the only chair left after Laurel took next to her husband.

"Yes, I am perfectly fine. You, okay?" She asked him in return.

"I am more than okay." He told her while playfully slamming his shoulder against hers. This made Fiona's eyes widen.

'Damn his good looks and soft-spoken personality. And damn her mom for infiltrating her mind with these thoughts. Em's views are better about Justin,' Fiona thought.

Fiona's mom mentioned how soft and kind Justin appeared to be when she was alone with her. Justin had charmed his way into her mom's good books in a short amount of time, which gave him a bonus point. She couldn't counter her mother. Regardless of his past behavior pattern, he never once lost his temper and even accepted all his flaws and mistakes.

She needs to step up her game if she wants to protect her sanity, serenity, and heart from Justin. As she still didn't trust him to not go back to his old habits when they returned home. It has happened before, and there is a high possibility that it will happen again.