Chapter 7 | Bad memories come back as nightmares

In the evening, Lan Zhan and Wei Ying returned to the bedroom. When Wei Ying came to the bed, he sniffed and then smiled a little. Lan Zhan was pulling aside the blanket on the bed when he heard Wei Ying give a little giggle.

"What? What are you smiling at?" asked the alpha curiously as he paused and glanced at the omega.

"Nothing, just ... i remembered that this morning when I changed my clothes, I smelled your scent. At first I thought it was you standing in front of the room door. But then I realized, it was just the clothes I found in the other drawers in the closet." - said Wei Ying as he sat down on the bed. - "Is this your room?"

"Actually, it was. I left this house 1 or 2 years ago. ... But I didn't think my clothes would keep my scent." - said Lan Zhan, as he laughed a little. - "Or that my father didn't throw them away, but kept them."

Then the faint smile quickly disappeared from Lan Zhan's face.

Wei Ying's gaze was directed at the cabinet. Then he remembered his brother's room, which had remained equally untouched since his unexpected departure.

Every time Changze mentioned that he would change Hua Cheng's room or just throw away some of his things, Sanren wildly defended the room and forbade her mate to do so. This was often the main source of their quarrels. Both omegas believed that Hua Cheng would return home. But they didn't even know the whole truth at the time, which Changze kept from them.

"Maybe he didn't throw your clothes out because he hoped you would change your mind one day and come back here, where your real home is. .. This place is incredibly beautiful and peaceful, but I don't understand why you moved out and left your dad here alone."

"I left here, because I needed some time, after my mother passed away. .. After that I started to wander more and more in the forest."

"But, ... if you've wandered a lot, you've met a lot of omega, haven't you? How is it that you haven't found your mate yet?" inquired further Wei Ying, but in the meantime he steered the subject in a slightly different direction, seeing that it was painful for Lan Zhan to talk about his mother.

"I haven't met that much. They were interested in me, .. but I didn't like any of them. I rejected all of their advances. I didn't want either of them to be my mate. .. I know the pain of this love." confessed Lan Zhan.

"Are you saying that ... because you had a mate, only you lost her, or him too?" asked Wei Ying cautiously.

The alpha just took a deep breath.

"No, I didn't go through that, .. my father did." said Lan Zhan.

Lan Zhan looked into the distance, through the window opposite him. After a pause, he continued.

 After a pause, he continued

"My father ... once told me that losing an omega mate is one of the most painful feelings for alphas. ... It's a hellish torment that most alphas are unable to endure, and they end up almost dying of grief, .. or worse; that they give up their lives. Although that is very rare." said Lan Zhan with difficulty, and continued after a while.