Chapter 12 | Back to the beginning

Mingjue's face was grim, his eyes hard, and his voice stern and determined.

Lan Zhan knew that their argument that evening had left a deep wound in his father's heart. Yet, deep down, he hoped that he would see a slight change or a slight easing in his father the next day. But when he looked at Mingjue's face, Lan Zhan realized at that moment that he was wrong. Lan Zhan felt that he had broken a bond with him, all because of what he said to Mingjue in anger. He hurt someone again because he couldn't control his anger, or, as he thought of it, the darkness inside him.

"Lan Zhan, come to the kitchen. I want to talk to you." Mingjue ordered coldly, and without waiting for his son's reply, he turned and went into the kitchen.

Lan Zhan remained speechless, but Song Lan did not. The beta could almost feel the coldness in the air between the two alphas.

"Is everything okay with him? .. Or rather, between the two of you?" asked Song Lan, worried.

"Nothing is right. But let's not talk about that now." said Lan Zhan as he got up from the couch.

Lan Zhan went to the kitchen. Mingjue sat at the table and waited patiently for Lan Zhan to join him. The young alpha went to the table and sat down. The instant silence that settled in the room became worse and worse for Lan Zhan. He watched his father, but Mingjue stared only at the coffee cup before him. When Lan Zhan felt it was time to mention the evening's events, the alpha moved. Mingjue sighed deeply. His fatigue was audible. He looked up at Lan Zhan with a cold look as he pushed the glass away.

"Before I get to the point, I'll tell you something first so you know about it. While you were away, I learned a little bit about Wei Ying's past. ... He was willing to share with me the story of how he got the scar on his arm. ... It was painful for him, but despite that, Wei Ying still told me the whole story. ..... It turned out that the young leaders of Wen pack had done more damage to Wei Ying's life than we thought."

"What did he say? ... How did he get that scar?" asked Lan Zhan.

"Suffice it to say that when Wei Ying fell, his hand was not held by a strong alpha, but by Wen Chao's weak hands, which then easily let Wei Ying go."

Lan Zhan looked at his father in shock.

"So .... Wen .. Chao ...." said Lan Zhan quietly. His face darkened as he saw the scene; as he watched Wei Ying fall. Then, Wen Chao had not only Wei Ying's hand in his hands, but also the omega's life. But in the next moment, ignoring all that, the beta simply let go of Wei Ying's hand and let the omega fall.

In his anger, Lan Zhan growled for a moment as he thought of what Wen Chao had done. 

Meanwhile, Mingjue was sitting with an unchanged expression on his face

Meanwhile, Mingjue was sitting with an unchanged expression on his face. He waited for his son's anger to subside, then continued.

"Now let's talk about why I called you here, and that's the promise you made to Wei Ying on his first day here, in this house. Do you remember that?" - Lan Zhan nodded. - "Okay. .. I want you to accompany him to his home today. Wei Ying is better now, .. and I don't want him to have any doubts about his parents. .. And, before you say anything, .. yes, I've thought this through."