Chapter 21 | Like the last breath of winter.

Jiang Cheng had been hiding in the small town since Mingjue's failed attack. One day he was walking along one of the city's narrower and slightly more crowded streets. He folded up his hood to hide his face. His annoyed mood was only enhanced by the serene, cheerful mood of the people around him or walking past him.

The good cheer of the people was provoked by the news that the tyrannical and cruel Wen pack, along with their leader, had fallen forever during one of their night attacks. Many were relieved to hear the news, but there were those who not only rejoiced but also celebrated and spread the news loudly. Jiang Cheng heard some people mention the disappearance or fall of their own pack along with the wen pack, but it sounded more like a rumor or weak news that only a few people really cared about.

Jiang Cheng got tired of the city celebrating his downfall as much as the Wen pack's and decided to leave the city. He continued towards the park, where there were already far fewer people. But then, unexpectedly, he felt a fresh, springlike scent flying in the air, which caught his attention.

"Fresh, .. and so sweet. ..." said Jiang Cheng softly. As the words slipped out of his mouth, his canines also appeared.

Jiang Cheng slowly turned back and his gaze almost magnetically locked onto an omega only a few feet away. Wei Ying was alone and had a brief conversation with an elderly beta lady, then they said goodbye to each other and went in different directions. Jiang Cheng then set off and began to follow the omega. He moved quickly, taking great strides to catch up to the chosen and lonely omega as soon as possible.

But Wei Ying soon sensed Jiang Cheng's proximity and piercing gaze, so he decided to stop. He slowly turned to look at the face of the alpha following him. Jiang Cheng was only a step or two away from Wei Ying.

 Jiang Cheng was only a step or two away from Wei Ying

A slight smile appeared on Jiang Cheng's face.

"I didn't think you'd realize so soon that I was following you. But you know why I did that, don't you?" asked the alpha as the omega finally looked at him.

Wei Ying did not respond to him, so Jiang Cheng continued. While he was watching Wei Ying, he didn't realize he was walking into a trap set for him.

In the distance, an alpha and his mate watched Jiang Cheng.

"Your scent, .. that gripped my heart and drew me closer to you. .." said Jiang Cheng as he approached the omega.

But Wei Ying started to back away from him, so Jiang Cheng suddenly reached out and grabbed one of the omega's arms.

"Your scent won't let go, and neither will I." Jiang Cheng finished in a threatening tone.

A soft hiss left Wei Ying's lips as he looked down for a moment at the alpha's rough and strong hand. Despite his fear, Wei Ying raised his head slightly, annoyed, and looked into the alpha's eyes.

"What makes you think I'll be willing to go with you, .. especially after that?" asked Wei Ying nervously.

"Because you have no choice." replied the alpha, coldly.