Chapter 13 | So far from hope

It was not only late in the evening but also a bit windy. Nie Mingjue was in his own room and sleeping soundly.

But Song Lan was still awake. He went to the kitchen when he saw movement outside through the window. He went closer to the window and took a closer look at what he had noticed. Despite the slight fog, Song Lan quickly recognized that in the distance, Lan Zhan and Wei Ying were approaching the terrace part of the house. Song Lan went out, stopped on the terrace steps, and waited for the two wanderers to arrive. It was only when Wei Ying and Lan Zhan were close enough to the beta, Song Lan saw that they were both tired. Not only did the slowing of their steps reveal this, but their faces too. Yet, Song Lan felt that the omega was more broken than the alpha.

"I'm not even going to ask why you're awake. You're going to be a night owl again, right?" asked Lan Zhan as they reached the stairs.

"Mn. I'm glad to see you too, Lan Zhan, .. and even more so that you returned unharmed. ... But the fact that it's so soon. ..." said Song Lan.

Wei Ying and Lan Zhan looked at each other for a moment. Song Lan immediately sensed that something bad had happened to them along the way. But before he could speak, Wei Ying stepped in front of him. That's when Song Lan saw that the omega's eyes were still slightly red from crying. In Wei Ying's eyes, Song Lan saw only deep pain and grief.

"Is everything all right with Mingjue?" the omega inquired.

"Yes, he's fine, don't worry. He's sleeping right now. While you were away, nothing bad happened." replied Song Lan with a reassuring little smile.

"But what about you, Wei Ying? Are you okay?" the beta asked worriedly. As soon as he asked the question, Wei Ying immediately spoke up but did not answer the beta's question.

 As soon as he asked the question, Wei Ying immediately spoke up but did not answer the beta's question

"If you don't mind, I'll check on him anyway." said Wei Ying in a tired voice. He wanted to make sure that Mingjue was okay, and after that, even for a few minutes, he could be alone.

"Okay. ..." said Song Lan, then slowly raised his eyes to the alpha.

Lan Zhan stared sadly at the walking omega. After Wei Ying went into the house, Song Lan stepped next to Lan Zhan.

"Bad news or very bad news?" asked Song Lan, this time from Lan Zhan.

"The worst..." - the alpha responded to the beta, after a pause. -"It turned out to be what I feared, .. and what I wanted to protect him from, but in the end, I couldn't." - the alpha took a sad breath. - "What the old man told us was true after all."

"Oh, .. my god." - the beta said softly. - "... Then, that means -" Song Lan was horrified, but the alpha continued.

"Unfortunately, it's true. ... Wei Ying's parents were indeed kidnapped by the Wen pack. Wen Xu took them to his territory and killed them."

"Have you told him that since then?"

"No. .. Not since. I couldn't do that."

"I know this is terrible news, but don't you think he deserves to know the truth? I also know that you just want to protect him, .. but still, it's about his parents, Lan Zhan."