Chapter 8 | Rainy day, tearful heart

In the morning, Lan Zhan sat up in a panic after noticing that the omega was not next to him. He quickly walked out of the room and hurried downstairs and went to the living room first. But after seeing neither Wei Ying nor his father there, Lan Zhan went over to the kitchen. As soon as he entered the door, his eyes were already fixed on the kitchen counter, there were 2 almost empty tea cups and 2 plates filled with fresh and sliced fruits.

Just as Lan Zhan approached the kitchen counter, the back door opened and Nie Mingjue entered. Nie Mingjue greeted his son with a cheerful smile.

"Good morning my son. I didn't think you would sleep that long."

"Do you know where Wei Ying is?" said Lan Zhan as he stood in front of his father.

"Yes, he's out in the garden right now, sitting by the cherry blossom tree. After I assured him that the garden was safe and that no one, especially no alpha would dare step foot in this area, Wei Ying bravely ventured out into the fresh air."

"How long has Wei Ying been awake?" asked Lan Zhan as he stepped to the sink and looked at the omega through the window.

"Barely an hour ago."

After a short silence, Lan Zhan turned to his father.

"Dad, please can you please take care of him, while I'm gone? I want to go away for a while and find out some information about his parents

"Dad, please can you please take care of him, while I'm gone? I want to go away for a while and find out some information about his parents. ... Oh, but before I go, I'm gonna change my clothes. I don't want others to smell Wei Ying's scent on my clothes." said Lan Zhan, then headed out of the kitchen.

"Wait, Lan Zh- ... What? What did you just say?" asked the old alpha in surprise.

"Wei Ying had a nightmare last night. The only way I could get him to sleep back was by lying down next to him on the bed. Then I pulled him over to me to reassure him. But that was all that happened." admitted Lan Zhan frankly.

"Ah-Hm. ... Oh, so ... that explains why I could smell his scent on you when you walked past me just now. ... Apparently your idea helped him, Wei Ying seemed much more rested this morning than yesterday." Nie Mingjue observed.

"Mn, I'm glad." said a pleased Lan Zhan, hiding his happiness.

"You'd better leave soon, because if Wei Ying finds out that you're awake, he won't let you go alone."

"Okay. ...And dad, ...then I'll ask you again to take great care of Wei Ying."

"I will. But then, you take care of yourself too, Lan Zhan. Remember, there's an omega waiting for you again. .. Don't hurt him by worrying about you for days, fearing that you might not come back." said Nie Mingjue seriously.

"I won't. .. I promise."

With that, Lan Zhan turned and hurried up the stairs to change his clothes, while Nie Mingjue went back into the garden to keep an eye on the omega. After Lan Zhan was done, he went back to the kitchen and watched Wei Ying at one of the windows. He was then listening intently, interested as Nie Mingjue told him a story during their walk.