Anna

Chapter 20: "Anna"

[Susie POV]

I watched Y/N's body be carried off into the sky through tear-filled eyes. We had lost. Even if I could get out now, what would be the point? I lost the one person who had given everything for me, and he died because of me... The one person I swore to protect.

I pulled my eyes away from the hole in the clouds as I couldn't bear to think about it any longer. A glance to my side told me Freya and Mica were probably feeling the same as I was.

Their faces wore pained expressions. Well, Freya did, but I couldn't see Mica's face through her mask. I knew her long enough to understand how she operated, and I could see her confident demeanor had fallen.

What do we do now? Where do we go?

I didn't have any answers, and I know neither of them did either. The only thing I felt that I could do was to think back to the times I had with Y/N, but ultimately, it only made the feeling of loss grow.

[Y/N POV]

I was surrounded by only darkness. The sound of something flowing in a steady motion rang through my ears, almost like I was underwater. I felt... I felt nothing. I wasn't hot or cold, there was no pain or pleasure, no breathing or seeing. It was like I was in ample space, void of anything and everything.

My brain was also in shambles of sorts. Something was happening inside my mind, but to call it thinking was a long shot. It was like I was half-conscious, half-not, and that may be the worst fate imaginable.

With no concept of time, I couldn't tell you how long I was there, but after what felt like both seconds and years simultaneously, I was pulled out of whatever I was in. My body flopped onto the ground like a dead fish. My mind slowly rebooted as I was allowed to get control of my limbs one by one.

Once I felt that I was myself again, I planted my hand on the ground and lifted myself to my feet. Now that I was up, I looked at my surroundings, which was still nothingness.

I stood on a thin layer of water that was pitch black underneath it. I couldn't tell if it was a floor that kept my feet up or if I was floating, but at the very least, I could feel the pressure of gravity pressing on my body, and something was keeping me from falling.

Around me was only darkness as far as the eye could see. I couldn't see any end or walls like I was in a room. It felt endless.

Although I was surrounded by darkness, it's not like I was blind. There was some sort of dim light that illuminated the area around me but eventually fell into the dark void. There was no source of light, though. It just kind of existed in this space, allowing me to see the glistening of the water that partially submerged my shoes.

Now that I was almost completely back to my senses, I could hear screams in the distance. They sounded agonizing and pained.

Y/N: "H-hello? Anyone there?"

My voice came out normal. I assumed there would be some kind of echo, but there was nothing. It was my voice in its purest form without a single other factor disturbing it.

???: "I am here."

I jumped at the sudden voice. A little girl stood in front of me. She was wearing a white nightgown and had long blonde hair. How she got there, I didn't know. It was like she appeared in the split second I had my eyes closed to blink. The screams seemed louder now that she was close like they were coming from behind her.

Y/N: "A-are you god?"

My voice was shaky as I was scared. Was this the afterlife? I would just be sitting here in this void until I eventually lose my mind and lose all conception of time?