I'll Save You Any Day: Libra (f) x Cancer (m)

TW: Suicidal Thoughts

Setting: Libra used to be strong and brave, but that was before Scorpio and Aquarius came into her life. Now Libra struggles every day just to survive, and hopes that one day something will end her life for good. Cancer, who hates being the bystander, decides to save Libra, maybe even if it's only once. 

Characters:

Scorpio m - senior, bully, keeps beating his victims

Libra f - junior, victim, nervous and has suicidal thoughts

Cancer m - junior, tries to save libra but scorpio is too strong, victim

Aquarius f - senior, bully, partner of scorpio

Leo f - principal, who takes action and suspends the bullies

Libra POV:

I walk through the halls, terrified of what may jump out at me and attack me. I've stayed in this school too long to know that someone is always there, waiting for me to fall. 

I've never felt fragile before, but this school and two specific people make my days harder to arrive, and harder to stay alive in. 

The comments she makes, makes me want to lose my function to eat. The torture he does, makes me wish that he would stand there and watch me die. 

Those two are a menace to society... or maybe just to me. I never once made a comment about Aquarius's looks, but after that one accusation that I did, all hell broke loose. 

And just as I thought, both Aquarius and Scorpio were waiting for me at the end of the hallway. Who told them I'd be here? Whatever, it seemed like everybody at this school was against my existence in some way. Better for them if I died, wouldn't it?

"Well, well, well, look who decided to show up. If it isn't cookie herself" Aquarius taunted. I used to love cookies, but now, whenever she called me that, made me feel fat and round and sick to the stomach. 

Aquarius comes over and yanks my hair. 

"Who gave you the audacity to look at me a certain way? Huh? Who gave you, someone who's too ugly to function, the right to make fun of my looks?"

"I-I'm telling you... I never said those things about you"

"Hey! Don't talk back to her before I break your neck" Scorpio threatened. 

Feeling brave for the first time, I say, "Do it."

And that's all it takes for Scorpio to come sauntering over and pushing me against the lockers with his hands around my neck. He pushes them higher and higher, and for the first time, I'm glad he's doing it. This will end my suffering. Me being dead will end their suffering. No one cares. No one cares for little old cookie me. Just as I was about to pass out, someone knocks Scorpio off his feet. 

"Hey! Get your hands off her!" I look to who had just pushed Scorpio, and it was Cancer. He was the new student everyone was talking about yesterday.

He looks to me as if to say run, and that's all I do. I do as he says and don't look back as I hear the punches and grunts of Scorpio and Cancer. I know I'm a coward, but I didn't stand a chance... I was too weak to do anything. 

Later in the day, I decide to go to the nurse's office for lunch, and find Cancer sitting there on one of the beds. 

"Oh, hey! I didn't know anyone stayed here for lunch" Cancer said. 

"I'm Cancer by the way"

"I know" I smile as he looks surprised. 

"Everyone was talking about you yesterday, so I figured you would be the new student since I've never seen you before" I explained. 

"Well, yea. I guess that makes sense. About earlier today, why did they do that to you?"

"They claim that I made a comment about the girl's looks, and decided that beating me up every day would be the solution to their problem" I said.

"That's f***** up" 

"Tell me about it"

Thinking of the reason behind their bullying, I suddenly laugh out loud. Following pursuit, Cancer does too, and we laugh for the next minute or so. 

"I'm sorry, it's just that the reason for their bullying is so absurd"

"I still am shocked they bullied you for that reason"

"I'm in the same boat" I said. We share a smile and lunch ends in comfortable silence. 

For the next few days, I become friends with Cancer and we talk and laugh about school and life in general. I mustered up the courage to tell the principal of what was going on, and she takes action immediately, suspending Aquarius and Scorpio for who knows how long. 

I end up telling Cancer about my suicidal thoughts and he gets me the help I need, consulting in a therapist for me to meet once a week. Honestly, without him, I feel like I would've end up in a hole, far below the depths of my own conscious, withering away. 

I'm so glad I met someone like Cancer. 

Author's Note:

This one was a mix of a oneshot and romance. The romance is nuanced in this story because I wanted the topics of the story to be heavily weighted. The suicidal thoughts are not to be highlighted as taken lightly, therefore I did not have Libra quickly get into a relationship with Cancer. I felt that this was a more realistic approach. I can say, however, that in time, Libra asks Cancer out, and they start dating at the end of senior year. 

And now, on to the next story!