Chapter 20

Optimus felt hollow as he returned back to the island. The retrieval of the genetic modifier was a success, despite some setbacks when it came to dealing with Grimlock and then convincing, or rather threatening, Powell to give the device to them. But in the end Optimus got what Blackarachnia wanted. He tried not to think about her too much, only about his teammates and making sure that they received the anti-venom. But it was no use. There was no denying the sense of failure he felt knowing that he didn't succeed in...in...

What did he want from her? To apologize? To make things right? It definitely was not to ask for forgiveness, Optimus was not that dense. He had experienced this feeling once before, where he knew no amount of apology could ever mend a broken relationship and that was with Sentinel, after the events that changed everything.

He failed Her. He failed Him. He failed in more ways than one. He had no place in either of their lives now.

Optimus had hoped he could bring Elita-1 back, help her. It was clear now that she would never allow herself to trust him again, that she was moving on with her life without him and with...Her.

The girl.

That human child.

Somehow, she brought back a side of his ex-lover that he hoped he could have brought back. How she acted towards the child, treating her gently, speaking to her with all the love and care in this world and beyond.

Optimus saw Elita-1. It was for a moment, a simple blink and you'll miss it moment, but he saw her. Seeing a small indication of her old self shine through the cracks, it reminded him so much of how she used to be, how THEY used to be.

How he missed when things were simple and uncomplicated, when they were all studying back at the academy, aiming to become Primes.

At the time, Optimus was a rather meek young mech, though, others wouldn't have thought that. He was always told that he had a too serious demeanor, one that made it rather awkward when interacting with his peers. For this reason, he didn't immediately make friends when starting Autobot Academy, which Optimus supposed was for the best, more time to dedicate to his studies. But even as he gave himself this reasoning, he felt like he was missing out as he saw other bots make the most of their young years, goofing around, getting in trouble, but overall, just having fun.

He did eventually get his first friend in the form of Sentinel, who he was partnered up with for a group project. Sentinel was loud, boisterous, the exact opposite of Optimus. Most bots found Sentinel to be far to egotistical to hang around with, so in retrospect Sentinel was not a popular bot back at the academy, despite popular beliefs. Optimus saw, though, that Sentinel was just passionate or at least he had been. He remembered nights where the both of them would neglect their studies and just talk about anything and everything. Sentinel would speak proudly of his dreams of rising up the ranks. Optimus, often rolling his optics, would still smile and encourage in Sentinels ambitions.

It was nice.

It was simple.

But his friend group was not yet complete without Her.

It was on one particular day. Optimus had already attended all of his scheduled classes, now with free time on his servoss. Strolling into the common area, Optimus found himself a secluded spot to sit, setting down his various data pads. The common area was a circular room with a high arching dome ceiling, wide glass panes filtering in light. Optimus liked how peaceful it was in that room with the light seeping in through the arching skylight and the various exotic neon plants with vector like designs. Tables and couches were sat up for the leisure of the students, and said students were certainly taking advantage of their privileges.