Chapter 24

As the rain poured down, several vehicles sped through the city streets.

It was the next morning, but no one would be able to tell given how dark and somber the clouds appeared, matching the current mood. The Autobots searched the whole night for the girl, even enlisting the help of Captain Fanzone and the Detroit Police force, them setting up roadblocks, searching all vehicles leaving the city, and alerting the public of the escaped criminal and the child he held hostage. But despite their hours of searching, few leads turned up.

Meltdown had seemingly commandeered a ferry back to the mainland but the tracks went cold after that. Optimus deduced that Meltdown would not have taken Kelly and escaped into the woods or mountains, as he would not have gotten far on foot. Additionally, the madman would want to remain somewhere with utilities and equipment to continue his crazed research and experiments. It was unlikely that Meltdown would attempt to leave the city, not when the authorities were on high alert and he couldnt exactly disguise his appearance. So, that led to the conclusion that they were still in the city somewhere.

At least...they hoped.

As a precaution, the Autobot team had split up to cover more ground. Prowl was surveying the woods. Bumblebee was patrolling, periodically rotating among the several city road exits. Bulkhead investigated the shipyards. Ratchet monitored traffic and other such public cameras. And Optimus searched the streets alone.

Well, he was not actually alone. Sari had insisted on accompanying him and when he had told her no, the young girl kicked up quite a fuss, so he relented. He really didn't want to have Sari here with him. Meltdown already had a history with the Sumdacs and add his willingness to harm even children to achieve his goals, Sari may as well have a target on her back.

"Hey Optimus?" Sari called, after almost half an hour of silence.

"Yes Sari?"

Sari fiddled with her thumbs, curling up in his cab seat. "Can I ask something?"

"Of course."

"Why..." She turned to the window, watching the rain slide down the glass, "why are you helping Blackarachnia?"

Optimus paused for a moment. "You don't want to help her find her sparkling?"

Sari sat up straight. "No! I-I meant- I mean, yeah-! We should rescue this kid and stop Meltdown. I-I just mean why... Why are you helping Blackarachnia?"

Optimus suddenly began to see what Sari was trying to say. This wasn't about their current situation but about Blackarachnia specifically.

"...because I want to," he finally answered.

"How can you trust her?"

"Can't you?"

Sari shook her head. "I'm sorry Optimus, but I can't. I mean she kidnapped me twice, nearly killed me the first time. And from what I heard, attacked you and the others multiple times."

Optimus sighed. "Yes, I know but she needs help. And can someone like Blackarachnia really be that bad if she cares so much for someone other than herself? Much less a human."

Sari slumped in her seat, folding her arms. "Yeah, I still find that hard to believe. Like, how can that even happen?"

"I'm guessing the same way we met you; the right time and the right place."

Sari actually smiled a little at that. "Heh yeah..."

A moment of silence passed as they sped through the city.

"I'm sorry for being all doom and gloom Optimus. I just can't change how I feel how about Blackarachnia, not after everything she's done."

"That's fine, Sari. I don't expect you or the others to instantly get along with her. But at the very least I hope you can tolerate each other."