Chapter 28

50 Minutes Earlier...

Snarl wandered around the outskirts of the city, the other two Dinobots dragging behind him. The triceratops was determined but also beginning to grow frustrated at the lack of progress. This wasn't working, he'll never find Kelly like this. But what was he supposed to do? He didn't have a lot of options and the Autobots were already searching inside the city.

"Snaaaarl" Grimlock whined, "how long we have to walk?"

Snarl huffed. "Me Snarl no tell Dinobots to follow."

Grimlock and Swoop had been following Snarl on his trek around the city. They were clearly too injured to even be pushing themselves to follow him, it was ridiculous. And yet they still persisted. At least with their injuries, Snarl can be assured that they wouldn't try to spring a surprise attack.

Swoop rested a servo on Grimlock's back as the taller bot hunched over, arm over his abdomen. Grimlock's wound was still dripping oil and he was clearly becoming weaker yet, he stubbornly refused to give into his obvious injuries.

This was not determination or strength mind you; this was just stupidity.

"Grimlock need help," Swoop said with concern.

Grimlock swatted Swoop away. "Grimlock is fine!"

"Grimlock, go to Autobots! They help!" Snarl told him.

"Grimlock no need help from puny Autobots!"

Snarl rolled his optics, growing exhausted with Grimlock's pointless bravado. He turned around, continuing his search. Let him be stubborn, his pride will be the death of him. Literally.

"Snarl wait! Dinobots follow!" Grimlock called out, struggling to keep up, Swoop rushing to support the bigger bot.

"Dinobots go back! Snarl no need you!"

"Dinobots look for Snarl because Dinobots want Snarl to come back!"

Snarl stopped in his tracks.

Grimlock looked hopeful. Had he finally gotten through to Snarl?

Snarl turned around. "How Dinobots find Snarl?"

Grimlock's face fell.

Swoop responded, his skinny frame shaking under Grimlock's weight. "Dinobots follow Snarl's smell."

Snarl stayed quiet for a good moment, the circuits in his processor malfunctioning at his own stupidity. He might have been more progressive than his brethren but like the rest of them, he was still an idiot.

He quickly took out Kelly's rag doll, sniffing it and memorizing the smell. Turning his head up, he sniffed the air, his olfactory sensors analyzing all of the different intermingling scents. He closed his optics, focusing deeply.

For a few minutes, Snarl remained silent, the Dinobots standing there awkwardly. Suddenly, Snarl's optics snapped open. He pocketed away the doll before he transformed, racing to search with a renewed vigor, his snout to guiding him.

Grimlock and Swoop exchanged glances, them too transforming and chasing after him.

Snarl barreled down the busy streets. He had something. The trail was faint and he couldn't be certain but it did closely resemble Kellys scent, not 100% but right now, it was the best lead he had.

The three Dinobots trekked across the city, their stampede disrupting traffic as humans screamed and ran away in a panic. Snarl's search led him to a shipping wharf overlooking lake Eyrie, the triceratops sniffing along the waters edge, trying to find the source of that scent trail.