03 : stay

the next morning, wonwoo left me a note on the table, saying he already bid suyeon goodbye and left for his business in france already.

check up on suyeon by the way!

"hell, i would love to quit so badly.", i groaned and got myself ready. on the way to the jeon residence, i bought a little bouquet for the girl in order to appear a bit more caring than yesterday. luckily her brother handed me a few information about her before he disappeared. she liked lilies and pink roses, which is what i got her. if she doesn't like them, i don't know what to do anymore.

knocking on the door, i waited for a few seconds before the familiar girl opened it for me. "good morning.", she monotonously greeted me as she let me in. "hi, i brought you flowers. hope you like them." the awkward silence made me want to go home immediately so badly. how was i supposed to take care of her when i can't even interact with her?

"uhh, thanks." she took the bouquet and flashed me a smile before putting the flowers into a vase. "what brings you here though? it's quite early, don't you think?"

"i'm sorry for lashing out on you yesterday. my mood wasn't really the best and we should at least get along, for the sake of your brother." by now, my hands were already inside of my pockets because every other placement of my hands made me think i look awkward. suyeon eyed me up and down and broke out in laughter: "it was probably my fault, how's the coffee stain?"

i just nodded to confirm everything was fine, except for the fact jungwon had to pick up the shirt yesterday night and already got me a new one. it was all useless, the stain didn't want to leave.

"alright, i'm not interested in this whole thing. i have no idea what wonwoo told you, but as i said: i'm better off by myself, so thank you for the flowers, but i'm kindly asking you to leave."

"you don't even know me! i'm supposed to be your guardian while wonwoo is gone. i'm not leaving."

"do you want me to call security on you?", she backfired and fixed her headband, "i swear, i don't even remember your name but i'd like to curse you and your name out already."

"trust me darling, you'll be screaming my name until it's the only one you can remember one night. have a great day!" i've had enough with her attitude, which is why i turned around and left the apartment without a further comment. but i was still able to see her shocked face in the reflexion of the mirror, causing me to grin.

———

the next days, suyeon and i didn't exchange any words. in fact, i ordered jay to check up on her undercover while i spent my time in the apartment. turns out wonwoo hid a secret room behind the wardrobe of the master bedroom. and there i was, analysing a few documents before hearing someone calling for me.

"sunghoon?"

quickly leaving the spot and rushing to the entrance, i saw suyeon casually taking off her shoes. "huh? what are you doing here? i thought you had no interest in this whole thing."

"shut up.", she snapped at me, "i'm not in the mood to talk right now. i'll be gone as fast as i came here." suyeon waddled into the apartment and looked around: "you haven't changed anything? i thought you'd at least place a few pictures of your family or your friends."

id rather not let you know who my parents are.

"i am not someone who likes personal things.", i confessed and pinched my nose, "i'm not home all the time anyway. why would i place pictures when i won't even look at them?"

"no need to get offensive, mister-lonely-boy.", suyeon shook her head as she grabbed a box under the couch table. she took the key out of her pocket to open it before taking a few bills. "see? i'm all done."

just then, i looked out of the window and spotted an unusual light at the top of another building. a red, tiny light.

instantly, i heard a click sound inside of my head and looked at suyeon in shock. "what? are you shocked by the amount? wonwoo has worked really hard for this money, don't even think about using him!"

"duck. no, fuck.", i cursed and pulled her figure closer to mine. she yelped in confusion when i laid back on the floor, expecting the worst. and of course, what i expected actually happened.

firstly, it was the window that broke in hundred little pieces.
secondly, a faint sound ruffled through the couch, meaning something has gone through it.
thirdly, the red light was gone after everything occurred.

i didn't even realise how tight i was holding suyeon while looking around until she gasped and slowly got up. her hair was all messy because my hand laid on her head, causing me to chuckle in amusement. "are you okay?"

she didn't answer first. instead, she looked at the broken window in horror. "what the fuck happened just now?"

by now, i already stood behind the couch and picked up the bullet with the help of a tissue: "i don't know what you're thinking, but someone just tried to shoot either me or you." "how can you stay so calm?", she yelled frustratedly.

maybe because this was my daily bread.

"i'm calm because i know we're both doing fine. nevertheless, we should leave this place for a while since it's not safe here anymore. i'll get that window repaired, you get all the money from the box and i suggest we stay over at yours for a while."

"i'm not letting a boy into my home! not until i'm married!", she weakly argued.

"guess i have to make a proposal then." i rolled my eyes and got my luggage. "i told your brother i'll protect you at all cost, suyeon. the attempted murder was a clear sign! whether you like it or not, i am obligated to stay by your side now."

suyeon looked at me with widened eyes as she remained silent.

i still had no idea what to think of her, but sometimes she reminded me of my own little sister. yeji was just as bold but innocent as her, maybe that's why i adored her... deep down. maybe not. she's just a mission after all.

keep your private life out of this, sunghoon.

quickly packing the luggage, i followed suyeon to her unit after securing the broken window and locking the door. "i'm not the neatest person by the way.", the girl warned me as she entered the code. too bad for me since her body covered the code, meaning i didn't get to know it.

"nobody asked.", i replied and placed my luggage right in the hallway, "i want food."

"cook for yourself then because i already ate and will go to bed now. i'll just get you a blanket for the couch... and maybe a pillow. i don't have another room for you, my bad."

"we could sleep on your bed." i cheekily wiggled my eyebrows and got a slap in the face as a response. suyeon crossed her arms as she rolled her eyes. "let's see how long i'll let you stay here. you're getting on my nerves already." with that, she went into the bathroom and left me standing.

"your name isn't moanable anyway!", i screamed after her and walked towards the other direction.