06 : upside down

"is everything alright , hoon?"

my mom sat down next to my dad as she flashed us a smile. "do you mean everything in general or just the food?", i replied with my mouth stuffed. yeji rolled her eyes: "eat first, then speak."

now it was my turn to roll my eyes. i was still older than her, how dare she giving me that attitude?

"i heard from your dad already. jeon suyeon and you?" mom wiggled her eyebrows and chuckled. "her family is so hard to approach, how did you even get to meet her?" "wonwoo has been reaching out to us for whatever reason. so i'll basically have to take care of her while he's gone. i haven't asked them about their parents though."

"what is the girl up to then? does she do any sports like you used to do?" my dad's voice was full of disappointment, causing me to exhale sharply and look away. "we've been over this, dad. and i don't know what she likes to do in her free time, i couldn't care less."

"shouldn't you at least get to know her a bit for the sake of your mission?", yeji argued and stuffed her mouth with the leftovers on her plate. how does she even eat up so fast?

"yeji's right, dear. you two should get a bit closer than now. don't you two get along?" mom leaned in and put her worried expression on before i neatly placed the fork on the plate: "this is my mission, so please let me handle it on my own. i'll get going now, i'll visit someday." dad chuckled and walked towards the exit with me.

"your mom is just worried, don't think too much about it. either way, have a good time with suyeon! i have a feeling you'll be stuck together longer than you'll want to.", were his last words before we bid goodbye.

of course i knew a few things about her, but why would i be so close with that brat when she's only one of my missions?

"i'm back.", i announced myself as i stepped into the unit. to my surprise, there was no response at all. the apartment was dead silent. where was jay? wasn't he supposed to watch over suyeon?

"hello? anyone here?"

walking around a bit, i found a note and opened it. obviously, it was jay's handwriting. i could even read this mess from meters away.

she wasn't doing anything life-threatening, so i figured you'd be back soon and i could take my leave. suyeon made lasagna last night with me, it's in the fridge. in case you think she's not here: yes, she is. probably the shower, you can barely hear the water running. anyways, you owe me something.

have a good one,
jay

"ah, you're back already! where were you?", the female voice asked. i tilted my head towards her direction and gulped before looking forward. "can't you wear something properly before greeting me? sometimes... a man's body doesn't work how the man wants it."

"firstly, you're in my unit and don't even pay rent, so you don't even have a say in how i dress. secondly, have you never seen a woman wrapped in a towel before? get a grip, park." then, i heard her footsteps faintly disappearing. i sighed in relief and headed to the bathroom to check my face.

stop blushing, dumbass.

suyeon quickly dressed up and stood in the doorframe now. "i want to go outside."

"sure! do you want to visit the park?"

"it's crowded during this time. so no."

"you like shopping, don't you? should we look for a new bracelet?"

"i don't even wear bracelets. i'm always looking for earrings."

suyeon sighed. "we barely know each other, sunghoon. this is getting frustrating. i still don't understand why wonwoo wants you to stay here when you're not even putting any effort in this whole thing. you could walk out the door and leave me alone as well because i surely don't want a stranger here who's supposed to babysit me."

"okay, look. i'm really trying my best, okay? this whole thing is new to me as well and i have no idea how to approach you without being awkward. you should trust your brother now, yeon. we're doing the right thing!"

"you have a cute nickname for me.", she suddenly smiled, "yeon. i like it."

"did you even hear what i was saying? ugh." this was frustrating as hell.

"i did. no worries. it just needs time to get to know each other, right?"

"gotta be honest with you." she hiccuped. "you're totally my type."

"is that so?", i amusedly chuckled at her current state. who would have thought she'd spend almost an hour to pick out a good wine for us to drink... midday? i didn't think she was serious when she said lunch would be more special this time.

"look, i used to have a hobby as a child and you remind me of someone i always saw when i was practicing. plus, you're hella attractive, how come you don't have a girlfriend yet?"

"just eat, you're definitely drunk." as suyeon was about to raise her glass to gulp down the wine, i quickly took it and put it away. "you haven't answered my question.", she whined and stuffed her mouth with lasagna.

"i'm not looking for a girlfriend right now. maybe later?" i neatly put my cutlery on the plate as i was watching the girl next to me finishing her food with red cheeks. "i have no idea whether you're tipsy or drunk already. let's get you to bed." "can't you sleep with me?"

"stop those foolish questions, wash your face and lie down." luckily she wasn't sane, otherwise she'd be laughing at my red cheeks right now.

after a few minutes, i finished washing her face and tugging her into bed. suyeon probably needed a great nap and i had the urge to find out more about her. what hobby? and why am i reminding her of someone?

when i rummaged a bit around her apartment, my phone suddenly buzzed like crazy, signalising i was getting a call.

sunoo.

"what's up?"

"sunghoon hyung! how are you doing?"

"just got suyeon to bed because she decided to drink at lunch."

"great. so she's knocked out. because i've got information about her because i'm a genius and found a good source and-"

"please spare me from the compliments to yourself and just send me everything you've found out. plus, send someone over to the temporary home because yeji needs pictures of the crime scene. there's no way i'm letting suyeon alone. not after she filled herself up."

"you're taking great care of her, huh? alright, captain. i'll do as you say. gotta get back to you soon, bye."