05 : the park siblings

"sunghoon!"

my father grinned and pulled me into a rather strong hug. he patted my back harshly multiple times and laughed: "it's been a while since i've seen you! how come you visit us at this hour?"

my smile grew wider once i saw his excited face, causing me to chuckle. "checking up on you. i currently handle a mission near our home, so i thought... 'why not visit?'"

"very considerate of you, son. you're welcome to enter." i fixed my hair a little as i looked around. nothing has really changed here, it just looks cleaner and shinier than i remember.

"your mom and yeji are upstairs. do you want anything to drink?" i shook my head: "i'm good, dad. guess i'll wait till yeji's done, i gotta ask her something."
just then, a knife flew towards my direction and barely brushed my cheek before getting stuck in the wall. "bold of you to show up after a month or so, park." the annoying voice rang throughout the house.

yeji stood by the railing upstairs and looked down to me and dad. "yeji!", dad scolded and sighed, but decided to let her actions slide as he just walked out of the scene. "bro, what the fuck?" i looked up to her and threw my hands in the air. "don't you know i almost got shot yesterday? do you want me dead as well?"

"yes, so i can become the only heiress left.", she joked, "of course not! and you know damn well i am as skilled as you are, so why were you shitting your pants when that knife flew right at you?"

"was not."

"hell yes, you were." yeji giggled like a child as she motioned me to get upstairs: "you wanted to talk to me, now move your ass then."

sometimes, just sometimes, i thought yeji was very bold for her age. but after all, she's a sixteen year old who didn't get to live that ordinary high school life with a school crush and many friends. she was surrounded by people who were at the same level as her, with the same status, with the same future. high class families want to keep their power for years, if not for decades. no wonder their children were dragged into this mess, we kill for our own benefit. i wonder if suyeon was raised like that as well since wonwoo and her are from the jeon family.

arriving at my sister's room, i spotted her fixing a blue dress on the hanger. "are you getting married or why do you have such a grandiose dress hanging in your room?", i laughed and shook my head.

"stop mocking me. mom and dad bought it for me, just in case."

"don't they have anything else they could spend their money on? my car might need some new things." i sat down on the edge of her bed as i watched my sister taking a seat as well. "stop whining. you earn your own money. what do you need anyway?"

"you have to do some research. i think my life is on a thin line." yeji frowned as she heard my concerned statement: "what do you mean?"

"look, i'm currently in the middle of a mission and someone tried to shoot us in my temporary apartment. and today, someone tried to kidnap her, even though this whole scene seemed so ridiculous. ji, you're a damn genius when it comes to things like this, i need you to find out who is pointing the gun at me nowadays."

"geez, what kind of missions does your group accept? this sounds bizarre." my sister scratched the back of her neck. "you've got to send me pictures of the crime scene then. maybe i'll find something." "i'm not going back! the unit looks horrible."

"do you want to know who's the culprit or not?" yeji sassily rolled her eyes, only earning a nod from me. "then make yourself useful, sunghoon. because i definitely won't step into your temporary home. and who exactly is us? whom were you with?"

"jeon suyeon.", i blurted out. only god knows why i hid my blushing face.

"you are involved in a thing with the jeon suyeon? what kind of bet did she lose?" my sister broke out in laughter as she held her stomach tightly. i scolded her: "yah! i was hired for it! don't make fun of me." we both chuckled at each other.

suyeon was known in our connections. too bad she didn't connect with any other family from the high society. it was as if she was a myth only i was able to witness. made me feel special, not going to lie.

"alright, i'll do my best to solve the mysterious cases, leave it to me.", yeji said after she calmed down, "don't you wanna go back to your lovely suyeon now?" she was mocking me, definitely. i rolled my eyes and shrugged: "she was pissed i didn't let her leave the apartment, so i asked jay to babysit."

"isn't she like... around your age?"

"a year younger than me."

"god, you're so dumb. she's grown up, she can do whatever she wants. who knows? she might have landed in bed with jay by now." i gulped and immediately got up. "i'll go call her. or jay. oh my god, my mind is filling itself up with dirty thoughts. bye. ew." i fished out my phone and dialled her number while biting my fingernail. yeji, you little witch.

"hello?" was the first thing i heard from the other line. "everything okay there?"

"huh? of course, jay fell asleep on the couch after watching Brooklyn 99. i'm sitting in my room right now, just as you told me. dumbass."

"aye, don't you dare give me that attitude, miss jeon!", i scolded her. yeji was holding in her laughter behind me, causing me to point a finger at her. "whatever. when are you coming back?"

"i don't know yet, maybe i will stay here overnight.", i replied with an unsure feeling, "why? miss me already?" "as if.", she scoffed. i chuckled at her remark: "don't worry, i'll be back sooner than you'll think. see you, darling. have a good night."

suyeon just hung up instead, making yeji laugh even more: "are you two perhaps... a thing?"

"stop spitting nonsense, it's all for the mission."

"mhm, keep telling yourself that. go look for mom and leave me alone now, i'll see if i can find out anything by tomorrow." my sister pushed me out of her room and slammed the door afterwards.

puberty hit her well, i guess.