17 : sweetheart

after the staff looked at my wound, they wrapped a bandage around my shoulder and ordered me to rest in my room. i haven't seen suyeon since and started to feel sorry about the fact that i was yelling at her.

the sniper was probably part of wonwoo's group, or so i had assumed. there weren't any answers yet.

and there i was, lying in bed and throwing the tennis ball against the wall to keep me distracted. what even was his plan? taking us down? getting rid of suyeon? wonwoo seems to just shoot around in hopes of hitting someone. is it his coping mechanism? does he have fun watching people getting hurt like that?

a knock on my door caught me off-guard and the tennis ball flew to the corner of my room. "no.", i sternly said, but that didn't keep yeji from entering. "lord, you look horrible.", was her first comment.

"thanks, i got shot." i rolled my eyes and sat up a bit. "don't move. the doctor said you're supposed to rest and do nothing." my sister sat on the edge of the bed and kept looking at me. "what's wrong?", i asked her.

"suyeon has been beating herself up for the past hour. well, not physically. she keeps blaming herself for your injury."

"well, we argued and didn't notice that bastard on the rooftop. we can be glad that i took the bullet." yeji widened her eyes: "shouldn't you two talk it out, then? i bet she wants to apologise." "mm, maybe later. i'm not in the mood to see anyone."

"i was thinking about leading the mission to take down your stupid brother-in-law.", she suddenly grinned. "what? no! you're way too young for this!" "please, my body count is higher than yours. mom sends me to slaughter bad guys on the daily!"

"she doesn't."

"got me there."

both of us broke out in laughter before i patted her head: "suyeon and i were arguing about that topic actually. i just don't feel safe with the thought of teaching her the basics. i don't want her to get hurt."

"suyeon hates her family just like we do and the fact that she despises her own brother because of his attempt to use us for power speaks louder than your thoughts, hoon. give her a chance instead of walking around the problem with her. she wants to learn from you because she admires and trusts you." yeji got up and fetched the tennis ball. "i'm just saying, i'm not the biggest relationship pro. but in my opinion, you two should talk. like... right now."

"didn't you just say i had to rest?", i raised my eyebrow and tilted my head. "suyeon's more important.", yeji sternly answered before she opened the door and left. what a great sister.

now i was the one sitting on the edge of my bed, debating whether to go downstairs or not.

——— 𝐒𝐔𝐘𝐄𝐎𝐍

i nervously bit off my last fingernail before i spotted yeji walking across the room. "hey!", i called out, gaining her attention. her straight face instantly formed into a smile as she walked towards me. "you good?"

"yeah... still nervous. i drank all the water that was left on the table, it's hard to calm myself down."

"suyeon."

my eyes widened when i saw a tired sunghoon in the doorframe. "god, you got me worried!", i sniffed and hugged his waist tightly. "i can't breathe!", he softly chuckled and patted my back, "i'm really sorry about everything. i shouldn't have ignored your pleas, i'm a terrible listener."

i shook my head: "i'm sorry for being so stubborn. you know how to handle all this better than me, i clearly underestimated the work you have to put in and just kept on nagging you. i'm terrible."

"don't say that.", hoon sighed and pecked my cheek, "you didn't know, so why beating yourself up? thus, i won't let you hold a gun, but i'm sure you're good to go with self-defense."

i giggled and shrugged: "i mean... as long as i can help you and the others?"

"i can't believe you want to kill the person who even brought you guys together.", yeji suddenly exclaimed, causing all of us to grin like maniacs. "well, he had reasons. i'm glad it worked out for us, but not for him.", sunghoon replied.

"how's your wound by the way?", i poked his stomach, causing him to hold in a painful whimper. "i'm glad it's nothing too serious, but my left hand won't be useful for the next few weeks... i suppose."

"you're literally supposed to be in bed anyways. glad you made up, i'll head to the quarter with suyeon now." yeji grabbed my arm and handed me my jacket before sticking her tongue out at her brother. "you're such a witch.", hoon gritted through his teeth.

"no, i'm an assassin."

"you're not."

"in training!"

"sounds better." sunghoon flashed me a smile before heading upstairs again. i faintly waved him goodbye as i left the house with his sister. "you two really love each other, huh?"

yeji shook her head in amusement: "he's so protective, but at least he's someone who cares. i'm not complaining about my parents, but he actually shows his love through actions and not only words."

"so you're telling me i got the right one, huh?" i smiled and took her hand before putting it in my jacket's pocket. "i really like how hoon protects us. but sometimes i'm very worried who will protect him in such situations. he's got hurt because of me after all."

"park sunghoon is the most selfless and most hardworking person i know. this was just a rookie mistake and we'll get over it. he always says he can take care of himself so... i'll let him do so."

"once we face wonwoo, i'm sure i'll take a bullet for him.", i joked. yeji's smile slowly turned into a sad one as she heard me: "promise you won't do anything silly, okay? you're part of our family now, it would be a bummer to lose you."

"it's going to be fine. as long as we have a well planned strategy, i'm sure nothing will happen to us."

we arrived at the quarter quicker than i thought. jay was squatting down to fix a tyre, but got up once he saw us waving. "hey! glad to see you!", he greeted us and threw the dirty cloth at yeji, who luckily caught it in no time.

"first of all: hi. second of all: ew."

i laughed at both of them. cousins.

"i'll be done in a minute. you're welcome to get in first, i think heeseung is almost done with the cooking."

yeji just nodded before dragging me along. "let's eat first, okay? then we'll get to our master plan."

———
hi, happy new year!

hope you had a great start; may all of you stay happy, healthy and lucky hehe!