10 : two-faced

i felt rather bad for leaving suyeon hanging. but having a night out with the others felt just right. probably because jake was pouring my sixth glass of today already while he was completely wasted. jay for example knew i had a high tolerance though, unlike others here.

"bro, are you still okay?", riki asked jake; completely terrified. i laughed at his face while gulping down the strong liquid in my glass. yeah, i was definitely getting drunk. and that didn't go unnoticed.

sunoo shook his head and took the glass away from me: "sunghoon, i think that's enough." "what are you even worrying about? i'm totally fine!" "i just don't think it's the right time to party like this."

"boo, mood killer.", heeseung commented and sighed, "it's been so long since we've gathered together like this! we have reasons to celebrate! sunghoon's finally getting a girl! and as far as i know, he hasn't been smoking since he had to deal with her! isn't that great?"

sunoo hesitantly agreed, but still remained stubborn. something was truly odd, he'd usually just give in and raise a glass too, but today... he seemed worried, frightened, he looked like he knew something we don't.

but in my current state, i knew i'd just cause trouble and become aggressive towards him, so i stayed seated and sighed. sunoo was such a true gossiper; managing all missions and not even giving all the details. he'd keep an ace in his sleeve, just in case he needed it.

nevertheless, i stood up and gave him a death stare: "i'll obey for now and go to bed. better tell me what you're hiding by tomorrow morning, or else." sunoo rolled his eyes and waved goodbye before leaving the room before i could do so. dumbass.

"ugh, we were just getting lit. i'm not in the mood anymore, i'll go to sleep as well." jungwon collected the few bottles before putting them on their old place. "have a good night, everyone. see ya tomorrow.", he lazily shrugged and disappeared behind the door.

seriously?

the next morning, everybody (of course) woke up late, so it was just me in the kitchen. i gulped down a glass of water before preparing breakfast for the rest. until sunoo arrived with a grumpy face.

"and what are you mad about?", i scoffed as i flipped the egg. instead of an answer, he threw a stack of paperwork on the table: "we've got to be careful with the jeons."

"the heck?"

"it's suyeon. i think we've been targeted by wonwoo, especially you. fuck, this was my mistake. shouldn't have trusted him and accepted this lousy offer."

i placed the food on the table and grabbed the other boy by his collar afterwards: "what do you mean i have been targeted? by wonwoo? give me goddamn details, kim. i'm tired of you keeping secrets! we came up with this alliance to protect me from the public and this alliance can only keep going when we trust each other and don't shut our mouths when it comes to topics like these."

"bruh, just let him go, hoon. you're scaring him while he's doing his best.", jay interfered as he softly pulled sunoo behind him. "yes, he fucked up this time. but i can see he's willing to give you all the details once he knows you can remain calm."

i was able to see the seriousness in his eyes and sighed. "sorry, sunoo. i'm just... not myself lately.", i apologised and slightly bowed, earning a smile from the other one. "it's okay. i'll tell you everything once we're done eating. or while we're doing so."

about half an hour later, everyone finally gathered in the dining room. sunoo and me sat across from each other while he handed me the stack of paper. "wonwoo has been watching every single move of us actually. that's why he knew we'd choose sunghoon for the mission, the one he will get the most benefits from. wealthiest park family, of course he'd be more powerful once him and hoon get close. but i figured out you practically stepped into your grave half-way already: he was waiting to kill you anytime soon."

"oh my god, that sounds horrible.", jungwon commented with his stuffed mouth. i just looked at him with furrowed eyebrows: "i am pretty much aware of that, thank you."

sunoo cleared his throat and continued: "i don't know if suyeon is fully involved in his plan. there might be a chance her feelings aren't even sincere and she's just playing around." i clenched my fist under the table for a couple seconds. "guess you're right.", i sarcastically laughed, "she's a jeon. unreachable, hard to get. why would she even consider dating me?"

"hey, don't beat yourself up because of that." jay patted my back and cracked a smile. "i still think it's the best to keep a distance for now. don't you think?" actually, i'd like to hear suyeon out. but i didn't want to face her. what if sunoo was right? i'd feel like a complete fool if his theory was correct.

and to think i told my family about this mission. what kind of standard did i just set for myself?

"let's just focus on our goals and our friendship from now on.", i said and immediately got cheers from the boys, causing me to smile and laugh out loud.

——— 𝐒𝐔𝐘𝐄𝐎𝐍

"park sunghoon, the son of the royal park family and therefore son of park hyunki, disappeared after the family has announced their withdrawal from the public. it is rumoured sunghoon has left the country while the parents are involved in underground business such as money laundering and illegal exports of weapons, as well as drugs."

so this was the real park sunghoon. a boy with royal blood running through his body while he was supposed to be overseas. yet no paparazzi was able to deliver any news after the article i was reading. it was written a whole year ago, meaning he was able to hide himself pretty well.

and suddenly both of us got to meet each other. odd.

i closed the tab and called my brother with an unwell feeling inside of my stomach. i was so confused. both of them probably never met before and suddenly wonwoo dragged sunghoon into my life. but for what reason?

"jeon wonwoo speaking."

"i did some research. what does all of this mean? what are you trying to do with sunghoon?"

"ha, so you found out his real identity, huh?"

"a retired prince. why would you need someone like him?"

"he's a benefit. once sunghoon trusts you enough, we can go on with phase two. i have to make a deal with his parents and extend our little business. i concluded you're pretty much the same age, so you'll get along. was i right? you were on the verge of going on a date already, yeon. don't tell me your feelings are sincere. it'll ruin a lot."

"i'm starting to like sunghoon. i don't care if it ruins your plan, but i won't allow you to use him for your own good. what business are you even talking about? don't tell me you're in this underground business too?"

"that's what the jeons are famous for, suyeon. our parents just never wanted to have you involved since there was no need.", i heard a sigh, then a laugh, "listen. you decide: you're playing along and get even closer to park or you'll refuse to cooperate and will see him enter heaven in the slowest and most painful way. it's all up to you."

"what the fuck? am i even talking to my brother wonwoo? the sweetheart brother who used to protect me at all cost? weren't you the one who explicitly told sunghoon not to get too close?"

"i'm a good actor, right?", wonwoo chuckled, "so? if you can't decide now, i'll wait for an answer by tomorrow night. that's when i'll land in korea. don't bother picking me up, rather pick an option. see ya tomorrow."

i finally breathed out and dropped my phone as i stared at the ceiling.

sunghoon, 9:02
stay at my place as long
as you want. i'll stay at jay's
dorm for a while. sorry.

"fuck.", i cursed.

sunghoon, i will not let you dig your own grave.

suyeon, 9:03
we gotta talk things out, sunghoon.
please just come home today.
thought you have to keep and eye on me?

sunghoon, 9:03
darling, i have hawk eyes.
i'll always have my eyes on you.
even from afar, so don't worry.