14 : invitation

the next morning, i woke up on our couch since suyeon wasn't really comfortable with sleeping in one bed yet. fully understandable. we've only been a couple for a day.

i slowly got up and stumbled into my bedroom, in which i found suyeon on her own feet already. once she spotted me, she already shoved her phone into my face. "darling, if you hold your device that close to my sleepy face, how am i supposed to read anything?"

"sorry.", she breathed out.

i sighed and embraced her: "good morning, first of all. you seem upset."

"maybe because i am."

"then talk to me. you know you don't have to keep everything to yourself, right?" yeon stared at me with her bread cheeks before groaning: "i got an invitation from my parents after i tried calling them. they want to celebrate wonwoo's return, even though he didn't tell me anything about it. why is everyone suddenly acting so weird?"

i cupped her face. "stop overthinking. it's way too early. no one is acting weird, you're just slowly realising you've been kept in an unhealthy environment the whole time. when's the party? am i invited?"

she took the palm of my hand and put her phone onto it before disappearing in the bathroom.

"boys, we're going to crash a party!", i euphorically yelled as i hurried downstairs. jay looked at me as if i have gone insane: "what in the world are you blabbering?"

"wonwoo's coming back. this is our chance to get rid of him!"

"and how do you plan to do that?" riki's forehead creased due to my excitement. it died down when he asked me though, so i just shrugged: "that's why i'm telling you this. we've got to plan something!"

"while you figure out something, i'll get going and visit my parents. the party's tomorrow, so i think i won't be returning tonight. i'll see you soon." suyeon fixed her scarf before planting a kiss on my cheek. the others grinned at each other, chuckling at the sight in front of them.

with that, she left the house and i turned around again: "so. plan. what do we have?"

"absolutely nothing, you idiot.", jake scoffed and finished his bowl of cornflakes. jungwon raised his hand: "his target is your family, right? i'd say we use you as bait."

"oh, thanks. i feel honoured." rolling my eyes, i sharply breathed out. "should we kill him? threaten him? maybe just ignore him?"

"is your family invited?", heeseung suddenly asked. "great question.", i replied.

the other boy continued: "your parents would probably be happy to hear about the news? and help you get rid of that sick brother-in-law of yours." "i see. you don't wanna help."

"it's not like we don't want to help. we have absolutely nothing to do with wonwoo and coming up with a plan to murder him doesn't seem logical. remember? we swore not to be involved in any kind of others' businesses. suyeon and wonwoo should figure out themselves who'll take over the underground business, they are the possible heirs, not us. i think we shouldn't crash the party, but just enjoy the time. of course we'll stay alerted, but we shouldn't take any action.", jay calmly explained and moved his hand while doing so.

gaining everyone's attention, he looked at me and shrugged. "suyeon might be in danger, i'm not going to let this happen."

"do you even hear yourself? jay just said we should pay more attention, but don't do anything. in case anything happens to suyeon, we will interfere." jungwon hit the table with his hand and left the kitchen afterwards.

"isn't it still our business? me and my family are involved!" i grew more frustrated by the minute. i thought i'd get back up? are they suddenly turning their backs on me? "let's get it straight, sunghoon.", sunoo sighed, "wonwoo tries to win your family over in order to be more powerful than suyeon, therefore having the bigger chances to become the heir of the jeons' 'empire'. but your family isn't dumb, of course they won't fall for that trick. added to that, you're dating suyeon, so basically you're not quite involved, it's just a fight between the siblings."

i finally gave in and nodded: "okay. you're right, i should have thought better than that. we'll attend the party and just see how it goes." the boys sighed out of relief, as if i have gotten my common sense back. heeseung patted my shoulder: "go eat breakfast, dude. since you're girlfriend-free today, let's hang out as a whole, hm?"

and we did.

riki forced all six of us to the bowling alley since this has become his new hobby nowadays. jay and him were having so much fun, meanwhile sunoo and i barely scored, which resulted in us just eating all the fries while watching our group having the time of their lives.

"this is such a great distraction.", i breathed out and threw my head back, staring at the ceiling. "it's nice, i agree. must have been a while since we hung out like that." jake placed another plate of food on the table and giggled when he got to eat his hamburger.

a good time with friends, was there anything more to ask for?

suyeonie, 7:49
hoon? i might need your help.

suyeonie, 7:49
answer asap, please.

"seriously?", i whined as i saw the text message. "what's wrong?" riki turned his head to me and raised his eyebrows. "i gotta call yeon. hope it's nothing too serious."

with that, i jogged outside and dialled her number. after a few seconds, i heard hitched breathing. "hey, you okay?"

"what if i told you i'm at your parents' house?", she mumbled softly, making me even more confused. "suyeon, just tell me what happened. why are you not at your house?"

"something's wrong with my mom. she's been acting crazy, i'm glad she hasn't spotted me when i was still in the house. i had no idea where to go, so i was seeking help from your family. hoon, i think the party is a whole bluff. i'm kind of scared."

"breathe. nothing has happened yet, just stay with my sister, okay? yeji is quite nice, as long as you don't get on her nerves. ask mom for food and comfort, she'll surely accompany you until i'm back."

"don't worry. you're out right now, right? enjoy your time, i just wanted to inform you. i'm fine now, but please talk to the others. i'm also scared."

"i will. see ya later, darling." with that, i hung up and looked up to the sky.

i fucking knew it.