thirteen

chapter thirteen
( civil war )

💫 ━━ PAISLEY always made Steve run up and down the hallways of the avengers tower with her. She had this magic to her, a bouncing energy that surrounded Steve whenever she asked a question, how could he say no?

So that's what the two were doing. Steve hopes that it'll tire her out, but he knows that she'll still be bouncing off the walls in half an hour. He can run for as long as she wants — he's glad to be there and run with her —but today was not a day for running.

Today was a meeting with The Secretary of State, Ross, about how the avengers can work in the world. No one really knew how it would go, no body had heard about it until hours before when Tony sent them a message.

Even though Paisley wasn't over eighteen, meaning she wasn't apart of what was going to happen, technically she had been crowned an Avenger. Well Tony had thrown her a huge party with a banner that said "worlds youngest and best avenger!"

Steve picks up Paisley up and swings her around so she's on his back. He's giving her a piggy back ride to the room. That way all the adults can watch the twelve year old play with a toy of hers, along with Ryder.

"Tony-Pony!" Paisley grinned and slid of Steve back, taking big steps towards where Tony was sitting. She jumped with joy, pulling Tony's hand and bringing him to the floor where her and Ryders play mat was. "Play with us?"

Tony nodded, grabbing one of the toy trucks on the floor. "We have to be quiet, okay?"

Paisley nodded, so did Ryder.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass... I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective." Secretary Ross said, looking towards everyone as he locked his hand in front of his body. "The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives... but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some... who would prefer the word vigilantes."

Natasha Romanoff tilted her head ever so slightly, straightening her back and sitting as straight as she could. "And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?"

"How about dangerous?" Secretary Ross stated, "What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

Was he wrong? No, in a way he was right. The Avengers have saved the world on many occasions, but what had they done to help fix any of the trouble the caused? They threw money someone's way and went onto the next problem. The Avengers had never taken off their suits and helped pick up the pieces, and maybe they should have. Maybe if had helped pick up the pieces, Secretary Ross wouldn't be there.

Secretary Ross activated a screen behind him that flashed news footage from the past. Things flash before it settles on a clip. At this point, Paisley and Ryder have stopped playing. They're old enough to know that something is wrong, they aren't normal kids.

"New York." A Chitauri leviathan, an alien, terrified citizens screaming in the background, guns fired, the Hulk smashes into a building and sends a dust cloud to camera. "Washington DC." There's three helicarriers, firing on each other. A destroyed Triskelion. A SHEILD helicarrier crashing into the water and throwing up a massive wave, engulfing citizens and the camera. "Sokovia." There's people running, the city rising, a building falling over. Pietro running and an Ultron bot flash across the screen. " Lagos." A burning building, paramedics moving a body, a dead girl, screaming and panic.

Wanda frowns and looks away from the footage. It affects her, she believes that if she had been stronger none of that would have happened. She believes it's her fault.   Steve sees the way Wanda reacts, "Okay. That's enough."

Secretary Ross nodded in understanding, flicking something and allowing the screen to turn off. "For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." He holds out a thick pile of papers, sliding it across the table towards Wanda who views it before sliding it to someone else. "The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries... it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

He was practically shutting down the Avengers with a smile on his face. Ross gazes down towards Paisley and Ryder, who smile slightly before they resume to sit and play.    He knows that if no one signs on the children's behalf's, something could happen and they could be considered dangerous children.

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Steve speaks up. They've done a good job and making the world a safer place, it's because a safer world for the two kids sitting not to far away from him.

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" Steve didn't, and it says that in his eyes when he looks up to Ross. "If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes — you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground."

James Rhodes, or Rhodney, stops fiddling with the big stack of papers in front of him. "So, there are contingencies."

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords." Secretory Ross states. "Talk it over."

Natasha smiles, she already knows the answer to question she's asking. But she wants to hear him say it. "And if we come to a decision you don't like?"

"Then you retire."