thirty one

chapter thirty one
( endgame )

💫 ━━ PIETRO remembers what it felt like to die. The pain was quick, and it filled his body from head to toe before he could even realize what had happened. The holes in his chest from  the gun shots ached; he could feel the blood that had once pumped though his veins now gush down his skin. The way he had been watching Clint Barton look between him and the little boy that the archer held with big blurry eyes. Before he had died, he had chosen to shield the archer and little boy, trailing his life so they could continue with theirs. It was a quick decision that he had made that day, one he would forever remember now.

He remembers the way Paisley dropped to her little knees beside his fallen body. How she had cried for him, begged him to stay with her. The way so many tears had fallen from her eyes, how he had attempted to wipe her tears but his arm wouldn't move from where it was against his side. How he told her she was his sunshine; how all he wanted was to be with her for a little while longer.

His world had gone black after that for a while.

When he woke up, he thought he was living in the afterlife. But instead, he was tucked away in a hospital bed that he didn't remember ever being in. His daughter wasn't with him, nor was his sister or anything he knew.

"Pietro Maximoff, welcome back." A man had spoken to him, the man who sat off to his side in a black chair. "We've got a lot of things to talk about."

Pietro had only groaned out a response, his throat hurt, like he had been screaming for days. When he finally gathered enough strength to speak, he did. "Where — where's Paisley."

"She's safe," The man spoke, and tugging a phone from his cloak pocket and pressing a button. An image of Paisley appeared, smiling and jumping happily as she and Ryder played just dance. The picture was taken by Tony Stark, who probably had little to no idea that it would end up here on someone's phone. "Happy."

Pietro stared at the phone, smiling at how happy his daughter looked with the boy she mad meet those few years ago. "With Ryder? He survived?"

The man nodded, swiping his finger across his phone screen. A video popped up, of the two kids and Tony Stark playing just dance. It was Pepper recording them.

    "Dad! I need more space!" Ryder threw his hands up as he tried to jump around, Tony, who was squished between the two children in front of the tv screen only laughed.

    "Kid, move over then! I'm trying to win!" Tony's voice was full of happiness and joy. He, the older man, who would have never thought of playing Just Dance with two kids, was having fun.

   The game continued for another minute, until the song had ended.

    "I won! Yay!" Paisley cheered with the biggest smile Pietro had seen in a long time. She was happy, without him, but she was happy. That was all that mattered; that she was well fed, taken care of, and happy.

"She's okay." The man spoke once more, before he tucked his phone away in his pocket and leaned back against the chair. "Now let me introduce myself, because for the next while, we're gonna spend a lot of time together."

Pietro nodded, scooting upwards despite the ache that spread across his very much alive and healed body.

"My name is Nick Fury, and I brought you back from the dead."

💫 ━━ PIETRO was told that he couldn't have contact with anyone he had once known. Of course it hurt his heart, but he wouldn't fight against Fury, not after what the man had told him; "I brought you back into this world, Pietro, I can take you right back out."

"Sir, I have eyes on the target." Pietro spoke as he shifted on his feet. Ever since Fury had threatened him with the whole take you out of the world thing, Pietro had been working for the man. Surviving and living with hopes he could go back to his daughter and sister.

"Great, now we're almost there. Just wait for me and Hill." Fury stated. He and Hill, who were driving in a black suv towards the target, were stuck in traffic. "We're stuck in this traffic, don't do anything reckless."

The world came crashing down right after that. A helicopter had crashed into a building across from where Pietro was. Cars were crashing into each other and chaos was around each and every corner.

"Fury?!" Pietro spun around, watching as his partner in crime, Walker — ( a man his age who had also been apart of the program Fury had started where they brought people back from the dead ) — dropped his bag from his shoulders and started to dig around for something. "Walker?"

The speedster didn't know what was happening; his partner was dropping things left and right well digging through his bag, Fury nor Hill were answering, their target had disappeared from plain sight, and he watched someone turn to dust. Some thing was wrong, really wrong.

Pietro pulled his com from his ear, taking off towards where he believed the suv was that had held Fury and Hill. In the suv, was neither of the two people he was looking for. They weren't off to the side helping, or trying to hide from the chaos that was rising in the world. They were gone and the only thing left was a pager laid out on the pavement that hadn't been used.

"Gosh, you're too fast." Walker stated as he stepped towards the speedster, his hands tucked in his pockets now. "We should go, before everyone looks to us with hopes that we can fix what happened."

"What did happen?" Pietro asks as he grabs the pager and presses the button, wondering what it was gonna do. He shoved it into his own pocket before he turned towards his partner in crime. "Walker?"

"Something bad." Walked frowned before he walked away. "I'm gonna go give someone a call."

Pietro was left alone, and for the first few moments by himself, he just watched the world around him. He watched people cry for the ones who disappeared. He watched pedestrians try to move empty vehicles out of the road. He just watched. And then he didn't. He stopped watching. He couldn't bare to watch the pain.

Something orange filled his vision, and there was his daughter, kneeling on the ground with Tony Stark right beside her. Hesitantly, he stepped through what he believed to be a portal.

"Paisley."  He breathed out.

       "Dad!"