33 - Rally

THIRTY-THREE - Rally

One of Teiko High's main attractions is the Riddle Society's Rally Competition. Tracing the society and the event to its junior high counterpart, this event requires a couple to go through a four parts of physical, intellectual, and mental challenges in the least possible time, collecting stamps to mark their completion of a part. As the challenges are hard, of course, the reward is just as great. This year, they're offering a genuine pair of basketball shoes signed by LeBron James.

Seeing as that was the price, she could see most competitors were basketball players. As they are trained with agility and endurance, and the fact that this is a race, she could see that she would be in a disadvantage. However, seeing that her partner for this race was one of the Generation of Miracles, she felt at ease. She could only hope that she wasn't too much of a burden.

The huge banner holding the Riddle Society's name and the game hung between two trees, as to where they stand within. She looked at the track beyond them. It was 200 meters from the next building, and five floors up the audio-visual room. It made the female councilor nervous.

And no, it was not because she was going to run. The first part of the game says otherwise.

'Carry the burden to go through Heaven,' the rule says. That meant that one of them had to carry the other on his back.

It wasn't much of a choice. Good thing she decided to wear her jogging pants before the competition.

"Are you alright there, Sayokocchi?" Kise asked worryingly.

Kise's fangirls' glares were enough to shake Sayoko's confidence. And at the moment she hopped unto his back, she felt like it was forty degrees. Their heat of their jealousy may as well top the flames of Tartarus.

"Don't worry, Sayokocchi," Kise assured, and grabs her tight. "They can't do anything about it."

The president of the Riddle Society, who is to initiate the race, calls the attention of everyone.

"Ready!" He holds the gun, pointing it skyward.

"Set!"

"Sayokocchi, you're so light."

"Then run faster!"

"Go!" The gunshot was heard, and everyone started sprinting to the next building.

As expected of the member of the Miracles, he was ahead of the others. His acceleration grew steadily, widening their gap from the others. As there was no other Miracle participating in the competition, it was a no-brainer that he would garner first-

Sayoko loses her grip, and was about to fall off Kise's back when the blond immediately stopped.

"Hey, Kise! What are you doing?" Sayoko scolded. She immediately looks back, seeing their competitors closing in the gap between them. His fangirls from behind started thinking the same way - confused, but cheered him on nonetheless.

He simply held unto her tightly, not giving her a chance to jump out of him. And in a matter of seconds, the other couples passed through them. Sayoko seems unfazed with his actions, although she had no idea what the blond was thinking.

"Kise, they're going on ahead-"

Suddenly, the earth shakes. The ground beneath them weakens, and it begins to crumble. Thank God Kise was fast enough to retreat. Sayoko tightens her grip on the blond's shoulders as she saw the gaping hole in front of them.

"Quick reminder for all competitors - please watch out for the traps we have set up!" the president of the society says over the megaphone. "If you're caught in one of them, you're out!"