17 - Ignorance

SEVENTEEN – Ignorance

Sayoko did not bother reporting her incident to the authorities. She had no evidence whatsoever and she did not think that it would do anyone better. Reporting it would also heighten the chance of people to look her as a terrible person, and the rumors would go around. She had survived her first problem with his fangirls, but things went south from there.

By the end of the week, rumors went around. The thing that she said to those girls that time spread like the plague. Now, everyone knows that Kise went out on a date with her and the rumors that came along with it were far more condescending. Some say that she forced it against him, saying that it was an exchange for him to not get into trouble, and to the part where she would change his grades if he didn’t do it. That came up another rumor that she can manipulate student’s test scores.

With that, a lot of girls approached her. They mocked her and threatened her not to go towards Kise anymore, or else they’ll do something to her. They would make her life miserable by calling her names and tripping her when they had a chance.

Nevertheless, Sayoko still stood strong. She would never let her confidence be waned by some girls who stooped so low to go for such tactics. She still continued to watch the Interhigh. She saw them win their quarterfinal and semi-final game and couldn’t help but feel happy for the team.

However, she chose not to make matters worse and hang out with Kise when not necessary. Whenever the games were done, she would immediately leave the stadium and go continue her duties. She would deny him whenever he would ask her out to eat lunch with him, saying that she was busy. She was, however she could still make time for him. She chooses not to.

One time, she was asked by Akashi to drop by the gymnasium on their break time to discuss some matters on the section she was assigned to. She felt like all eyes were on her as the girls saw her walk towards the gymnasium, but she brushed them off regardless.

The female councilor enters the gym, and sees most of the members still practicing on their own. She immediately spots the redhead captain by the bleachers and approaches him, slightly relieved not to see or hear a certain blond.

“Akashi,” she calls him out, who at that time was drying his sweat off with a towel. He tells her to get closer, as he too takes out something from his clipboard.

“I’m sorry for a meeting like this,” he addresses. “I was hoping to ask you after classes but since this was urgent, it has to be discussed right away.”

“No, it’s fine…” Sayoko assured. “So, what is it all about?”

“Are you done with those corrections the board gave you last week?” Akashi asked, and that is when Sayoko felt her throat went dry.

“Well… I’m still doing it,” she nervously replied.

Akashi raises an eyebrow. “May I know the reason why it’s late?”

“T-The corrections were a little damaged due to the rain, and I can’t make out some of the words as I cannot recognize them,” she responded. Hopefully he doesn’t injure her face.

“I see.” Sayoko felt like a big thorn was taken out of her chest when Akashi responded in a rather non-hostile manner. “I understand. However, it is important and I hope it would be completed as soon as possible.”

“Y-Yes,” Sayoko replied rather cheerily. “I’ll have it by the end of the day.”

“I plan to discuss more matters to you but please excuse me for a while,” Akashi said, and immediately goes some place elsewhere.