19 - Victory

NINETEEN – Victory

With permission from the school nurses’ office, Kise brings Sayoko to the hospital. After a thorough examination, it was shown that she received hits to her abdomen and arms, leaving bruises dark and light. Fortunately, none of her bones were fractured and no vital organs received serious damage. After patching up her bruises and giving her prescriptions for the pain, she was released from the hospital that night.

During their stay at the hospital, he contacted Akashi and told him the entire incident. Momoi, who was with him when they saw the event, helped him out. They took a hold of the footage and reviewed it. They identified most of the girls in the event, contacting the main suspects. The girl who mainly provoked Sayoko, Higuchi Izumi, was caught almost immediately and was taken to the Student Guidance Center for questioning. She identified all 36 female students to be part of the incident.

The incident was immediately presented to the school board. Akashi presented the following evidences and the main culprit. Higuchi gave a weak story, saying that it was planned by someone else. She shows her wrists, showing a dark purple color within them. She demanded that Sayoko also be filed for violent behavior and for hurting her. Momoi responded, saying that Sayoko only did so in an act of self-defense.

It was getting late, so the board had to halt the discussion. They have however, heard their explanations. A decision is not yet formed and they will continue the discussion, making an investigation of its own. They also decided not to get the police or the social office involved for the meantime. One member of the school board taps Akashi in the shoulder after dismissal, telling him that they have a better shot of winning the case.

Kise was with Sayoko the entire time. He was worried for her as if she had a serious medical condition. He clutched his clothing for dear life when the doctor told them the news. He was there when the doctor gave her further instructions. He helped her get out of the hospital, passing himself off as her cousin. He took her home and made sure she was safe. He did not leave up until she was dressed and off to bed. He checked every nook and cranny of her apartment to make sure that she was safe. He checked up on her before he left, planting a soft kiss on her forehead.

He felt terrible. All of this happened because of him. Probably if she hadn’t met him, she wouldn’t be into this much trouble. She became a target because he kept approaching her. She was talked badly of because he talked to her often. She was beaten up because she was his friend. Reminiscing into it, he was the cause of most, if not all, of her headaches. Maybe if he didn’t meet her, she would be safe all her days.

But, he can’t imagine being in that world anymore. For one, a girl was not falling over him. A girl did not see him as a boy with a beautiful face or as a talented basketball player. It felt different, in a good way.

He just didn’t want to be a burden anymore. He just promised himself that she would be safe with him along.

---

The following day arrived, and he met members of the Teiko High Basketball Team as they headed for Yokohama. He immediately asked Akashi and the others as to what happened. Despite still not having a formal closing, he felt relieved when they said that there is a strong possibility of this being done as they wanted it to be.

As they board the train and traveled for a few hours, Kise remained unnervingly silent. His teammates were worried to death for him, but they decided to simply leave him as is and not to make it worse. The train ride was then awkwardly silent. They arrived at Yokohama, and immediately went to the stadium. They had around an hour to prepare before the battle for third place started.