22 - Realization

Heads up! This part of the story includes references from the original Kuroko no Basuke manga chapter 172 (Kaijo vs Fukuda Sogo match, currently not aired in the anime version as of 011515). So spoiler alert! Read at your own risk.

EDIT 011915: Parts of chapter 172 is now animated as part of KNB ep 52. Only parts. I've used one more reference there that's not part of said episode so still HEADS UP!

---

TWENTY-TWO – Realization

Kise covered his mouth as he yawned. It’s been the third time he yawned ever since he waved goodbye to Sayoko at the train station.

Well, he wouldn’t be surprised if he collapses at his bed the moment he arrives at his hotel room and sleeps up till the day after tomorrow. He’s been having it rough the past few days, and his fans have been exhausting him more than ever. Not to mention that the Interhigh just finished, and he had a photoshoot and a date at the same day. Kise has been very busy, and has not gotten any proper sleep.

 The thought of the girl suddenly came into mind. She stands out most of the time, and she has this strong and unwavering personality. She has the leadership and her decisions are firm. But that personality is only her front.

When with him, she was not someone from the school would expect. Her hands would make beautiful sketches of the world. She would always smile and laugh at a joke, even if it was not really that funny. She would care for the people around her. She would help them, ignoring her own needs. She was indeed interesting, and he was glad he met her.

He also remembered what his team back at Zunon Boy said – she was good enough to be his girlfriend. He remembered that they were pushing him to date someone, and not to immerse himself on just his job and basketball. Bringing her to the studio almost made them flip over, and it seems that they’ve seen all seven stages of hell when he told them she was just a friend. He couldn’t help but smile.

He felt hot and noticed that he was blushing immensely. He lightly slapped both of his cheeks to gain back his composure.

“Kise, she is just a friend. Pull yourself together,” he started to say to himself. “And even if I liked her, she would kick me anyway and think I’m crazy. She doesn’t even like me!” He realized that he was shouting what was inside his mind. Thank God there was no one near to see him lose his mind.

“Get a grip, get a grip…” he whispered to himself like a soothing mantra. He continued to whisper himself those words until he’s calmed himself down.

She doesn’t like you, so you shouldn’t like her…

Kise looked at the time on his phone, and it was around 10 in the evening. He was a few hundred meters away from the hotel and he was tired, but decided to walk anyway. The night deemed inviting to him – stars were scattered amongst the clear night sky, and the moon was nowhere in sight. The wind was not that strong, but it was cool among the touch of his skin. There were minimal or no more cars coming along his way, and you could hear some of the sound of the animals around.

He was passing by a children’s playground near a street basketball court. The sight of the court urged him to play basketball, even if he was tired. He realized that he didn’t have a basketball with him, so he decided to walk away. He closed his phone, making a mental note to always bring a ball every day.

“Ow!” he heard someone say. At the same time, he felt something bump in front of him.

Or rather, someone.